DUCK WING ANTENNA
03-19-2016, (Subject: DUCK WING ANTENNA ) 
DUCK WING ANTENNA
I used this low tech solution to repair my broken radio antenna. I admit that, I stole the name from Yamajason as he never reposted his antenna design. Rawze blewup that design anyway. As I remember (could be foulty), somebody baited Rawze into commenting on Yamajasons Design for the Duck Wing Antenna. Rawze took the bait and posted an epic reply that throughly explained why it would not work. It was way more infomation than we needed (if you repost it, leave out the part about your X)
I learned more about CB Antennas than I could have imagined (limmited).

I attached a #14 solid wire to the bolt at the bottom of the remaining post. I could have attached it at the top if had not snapped off the stud in it while trying to replace the the antenna (I blame it on the wrench). The resulting Duck Wing Antenna works amazingly well and It has the added benefit of being below the hood (keeping my secret identity hidden).

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201603/post_1372_1458390062_50755ce1516f8938c6a4b910f445f76d.jpg

User's Signature: Slow Minded not Stupid.
replyreply
RE: DUCK WING ANTENNA
The proper length for an FM radio antenna is 33 inches. Having the proper length helps with reception by quite a bit.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
./uploads/201603/post_1794_1458396941_e6e66c4a4c98be44e854de5baf594451.jpgIf you are about this it was mine post. I'll give it a try this summer despite Rawze's critique. I have buddy working for (afraid to name) company with equipment allow to measure all antenna diagram and characteristic.
replyreply
"If you are about this it was mine post. I'll give it a try this summer despite Rawze's critique. I have buddy working for (afraid to name) company with equipment allow to measure all antenna diagram and characteristic."

Figures! I stole it from the wrong guy.

"The proper length for an FM radio antenna is 33 inches. Having the proper length helps with reception by quite a bit."
Can you convert that to webbed feet?

User's Signature: Slow Minded not Stupid.
replyreply
(03-19-2016 )snailexpress Wrote:  If you are about this it was mine post. I'll give it a try this summer despite Rawze's critique. I have buddy working for (afraid to name) company with equipment allow to measure all antenna diagram and characteristic.

You could re-route the factory wires away from your antenna...or wrap the factory wires in Copper Foil Tape and attach the foil electrically to the truck ground, shielding the wires from inductive power spikes that could damage truck BCM, etc.
http://amzn.com/B018RDZ3HG
replyreply
(03-19-2016 )yamajason Wrote:  
(03-19-2016 )snailexpress Wrote:  If you are about this it was mine post. I'll give it a try this summer despite Rawze's critique. I have buddy working for (afraid to name) company with equipment allow to measure all antenna diagram and characteristic.

You could re-route the factory wires away from your antenna...or wrap the factory wires in Copper Foil Tape and attach the foil electrically to the truck ground, shielding the wires from inductive power spikes that could damage truck BCM, etc.
http://amzn.com/B018RDZ3HG
Not to many wires around. One harness to the top marker lights and one to in cab ceiling light. All other are far away. My goal is a clear reception not pumping power out.
replyreply
I think Rawze had good reason to dissuade you from the duck wing antenna...as much as I love the durability and stealth of it.
When I worked for the DOT, ahem, as a Senior Electronic Technician in the Traffic Control Device Dept in Nebraska 2004 I would regularly have to replace the Inductive Loop Traffic Detector Cards on Traffic Light Controllers and Traffic Counters due to lightning striking in the electro-magnetic field of the inductive loop(a piece of 14awg wire wound 3x around in a circle)
The traffic light goes into a default setting of Yellow Flashing or Red Flashing like

I suspect when you key up the mic on your Duck Wing system you will generate a similar magnetic field that will attract lightning more than a steel rod in the dirt! Lightning storms don"t happen every day, so your duck wings should be safe most of the time.

aaaaaand, I know this question is coming...LOL...traffic light changing strobes are highly illegal and many are tied in with the traffic light cameras that will record the vehicles at the intersection during an emergency vehicle strobe event.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.