Crankshaft Timing Sensor, Is there a trick?
10-14-2017, (Subject: Crankshaft Timing Sensor, Is there a trick? ) 
Crankshaft Timing Sensor, Is there a trick?
I'm replacing the lower Crankshaft Timing Sensor, is there a trick to getting that damn thing out? Not much room to operate down there on the ProStar. I unplugged from the harness, as well removing the 10mm bolt holding it in place. This baby is not moving at all, and is all plastic, I don't want to snap that thing off in the block. It slips in, with an o-ring to make a seal.

Any thoughts or how did you tackle this sensor?
replyreply
RE: Crankshaft Timing Sensor, Is there a trick?
(10-14-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  I'm replacing the lower Crankshaft Timing Sensor, is there a trick to getting that damn thing out? Not much room to operate down there on the ProStar. I unplugged from the harness, as well removing the 10mm bolt holding it in place. This baby is not moving at all, and is all plastic, I don't want to snap that thing off in the block. It slips in, with an o-ring to make a seal.

Any thoughts or how did you tackle this sensor?

There's also retaining clip holding the sensor . Be sure it's off too . Spray around with penetrating fluid and play with sensor. Should come off .

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
A retaining clip? Is that the metal latch like thing that the 10mm bolt held on, or is there an actual retain clip around the sensor itself, like a C clip?
replyreply
(10-14-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  A retaining clip? Is that the metal latch like thing that the 10mm bolt held on, or is there an actual retain clip around the sensor itself, like a C clip?

Yes , the metal latch . This is what I meant by saying retaining clip .
replyreply
Ok, cool! I was sweating bullets, a C clip! LOL! Yes, the latch I took care of. She is welded in there... I'll try the nut buster and see if I can find something to get in there and wiggle her a bit. Thanks for the help!
replyreply
When I did mine I ended up putting locking plyers around the head of sensor and then tried to turn the sensor until it would freely rotate then I would carefully pry it with a flathead screwdriver.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Techmech
(10-14-2017 )marek4792 Wrote:  When I did mine I ended up putting locking plyers around the head of sensor and then tried to turn the sensor until it would freely rotate then I would carefully pry it with a flathead screwdriver.

Hit her with nut buster and of course it is raining like hell out there... That is what I figured, just a bitch to get in there.
replyreply
(10-14-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(10-14-2017 )marek4792 Wrote:  When I did mine I ended up putting locking plyers around the head of sensor and then tried to turn the sensor until it would freely rotate then I would carefully pry it with a flathead screwdriver.

Hit her with nut buster and of course it is raining like hell out there... That is what I figured, just a bitch to get in there.
I know your pain! Getting it in is just as fun too.
replyreply
10-15-2017, (Subject: Crankshaft Timing Sensor, Is there a trick? ) 
Popped mine out with a sloted screwdriver. But it was replaced when I did the harmonic balancer. We broke it removing the balancer lol.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.