Transmission cooler damaged.
10-14-2017, (Subject: Transmission cooler damaged. ) 
Transmission cooler damaged.
I am working on the proStar in between rain showers to replace the CAC, I took the hood hydraulic lift off of the top of the CAC top plate and lowered it down on top of a garbage can. Well those spring arms, went right through the front of the cooler! I have had this hood down like this before and it never did this. hell, it almost took out my radiator too. The hood was not that far down, no where near 90*. Oh well, how difficult is it to replace that cooler?

It looks easy enough to remove the unit itself, but I crawled underneath and was looking at the plumbing where the cooler attaches. How does that attach to the lines? Is there soldering involved or are they more like a hydraulic line?

HELP!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
RE: Transmission cooler damaged.
Pictures? What is the size in/ out of the cooler?

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
I'll have to get them tomorrow if it quits raining, here it is on a junk yard truck... Looks like that hood rod went through that cooler too. https://www.heavytruckparts.net/search.p...artID=4140

Damn hood spring thing hood rod blew right through it. Pissed to say the least.

On the underside of the radiator there are two lines that the cooler attaches to. Those two lines look to be permanently attached to the plate on the underside of the radiator. i see no way to remove those two metal lines, other than with an air hammer or torch. So, I figure it should be an easy replacement if that is the case. Just a couple of bolts holding the actual cooler on. Just wondering what the magic is that attaches them? Wire clips or something like that?
replyreply
(10-14-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  I am working on the proStar in between rain showers to replace the CAC, I took the hood hydraulic lift off of the top of the CAC top plate and lowered it down on top of a garbage can. Well those spring arms, went right through the front of the cooler! I have had this hood down like this before and it never did this. hell, it almost took out my radiator too. The hood was not that far down, no where near 90*. Oh well, how difficult is it to replace that cooler?

It looks easy enough to remove the unit itself, but I crawled underneath and was looking at the plumbing where the cooler attaches. How does that attach to the lines? Is there soldering involved or are they more like a hydraulic line?

HELP!

When I replaced my CAC, I removed the front plastic grill (3 screws and some clips) from the outside of the hood. I then removed the hood shock from the top of it and rested the hood itself on a 55 gal drum. The hood does not like going all the way to 90 degrees!. I then took the boots off the CAC and removed the condenser for the A/C and gently rested it up on top of the motor without removing any of the lines. I took out the screws for the coolant reservoir tank, then removed the CAC unit itself. It took 2 people to carefully wrangle it to one side of the truck, but it was not heavy at all. Like you said, it is small.

I would not mind making a video of it for a prostar with someone some time. I think it would be good to talk about replacing one, why they fail, and all the things to watch out for when installing the new one, etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Waterloo
I'll be doing mine tomorrow. Got a nice new one from the dealer a couple hours ago. I doubt it'll take long to do, I'm just looking forward to seeing how she runs with a new one. I bet that old one has been leaking for awhile.

Does that trans cooler take JIC? I'm just curious, maybe you can get a parts store cooler temporarily until you can get a new, more suitable cooler.

Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
(10-14-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(10-14-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  I am working on the proStar in between rain showers to replace the CAC, I took the hood hydraulic lift off of the top of the CAC top plate and lowered it down on top of a garbage can. Well those spring arms, went right through the front of the cooler! I have had this hood down like this before and it never did this. hell, it almost took out my radiator too. The hood was not that far down, no where near 90*. Oh well, how difficult is it to replace that cooler?

HELP!

When I replaced my CAC, I removed the front plastic grill (3 screws and some clips) from the outside of the hood. I then removed the hood shock from the top of it and rested the hood itself on a 55 gal drum. The hood does not like going all the way to 90 degrees!. I then took the boots off the CAC and removed the condenser for the A/C and gently rested it up on top of the motor without removing any of the lines. I took out the screws for the coolant reservoir tank, then removed the CAC unit itself. It took 2 people to carefully wrangle it to one side of the truck, but it was not heavy at all. Like you said, it is small.

I would not mind making a video of it for a prostar with someone some time. I think it would be good to talk about replacing one, why they fail, and all the things to watch out for when installing the new one, etc.

That is what I did, pulled the grill and did as you did, on a garbage can, but I think my can was a bit to short. Pissed me off, as I have done this before, but with a taller can. I did not realize those hood thingies went in that far. Live and learn. Good thing those coolers are inexpensive when compared to the other parts. How does that thing remove? Are there wire clips holding the lines on like on a car?
replyreply
(10-14-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  I'll be doing mine tomorrow. Got a nice new one from the dealer a couple hours ago. I doubt it'll take long to do, I'm just looking forward to seeing how she runs with a new one. I bet that old one has been leaking for awhile.

Does that trans cooler take JIC? I'm just curious, maybe you can get a parts store cooler temporarily until you can get a new, more suitable cooler.

JIC, fill me in, I'm drawing a blank.
replyreply
JIC is like an industrial version of an AN. Works like an AN, but not made to such exacting tolerances meaning they are cheaper. However, not compatible with AN.

I doubt the trans cooler uses barbed fitting which was why I asked. Trying to see what you are working with.

Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
There were plastic caps that popped off my hose to cooler connection. Once the blue caps are pushed off they release like a quick connect air line. Push the ring to release the internal clips. As far as the cooler removal its held on by bolts. Nothing special to it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.