J1939/ Communication help
10-14-2017, (Subject: J1939/ Communication help ) 
J1939/ Communication help
I have 2009 Prostar,truck got hit by a lightning. BCM was damaged and replaced with a unit from a donor truck-local dealership network won't have one for another 3 weeks. Truck is running, there is no communication with the ECM(SPN 2000 FMI9), BCM and ABS module communicate. I am able to connect to the engine through the weatherpack connector(private network), Insite reports loss of Data Link. A-com reports Loss of J1939 retarder communication between ECU and EC-60. Ohming out the backbone 58 Ohms, no shorts to ground or power, tried unplugging modules one at a time and checking the resistance on the link, everything checks out. Visually inspected the harnesses and connectors both inside the cab, through the firewall and under the hood, it all looks good. I am leaning towards replacing the ECM, trying to get a known good unit to test the communication, Cummins can not test the ECM. Has anyone had similar experience? Any ideas on testing, I don't want to throw parts at it. Thanks in advance guys.
replyreply
10-15-2017, (Subject: J1939/ Communication help ) 
RE: J1939/ Communication help
The "weather-pack" 3-pin connector is a different nertwork than the truck uses when talking to the ECM. Try another ECM.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kmk
That's the plan, hopefully I can get one on Mon. Do they use two separate communication controllers in the ECM? Thanks.
replyreply
BCM need to be reprogrammed to match your truck VIN and all settings. Unfortunately dealer only is one option.
replyreply
(10-15-2017 )kmk Wrote:  That's the plan, hopefully I can get one on Mon. Do they use two separate communication controllers in the ECM? Thanks.

Yup, 2 completely separate controllers as far as i know. I have seen one burned out completely on them, yet the other one work.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Oh man... I was just up at Tri-County International in Jackson MI. If that was not you in there, you may want to give Mark the service manager a call, (517) 783-2721. They just had a ProStar in there that was hit by lightning. It blew out every sensor and electronic component on that truck. They were at $20,000+ in parts the last time I saw it. I believe they said it had been in the shop for over a month and was giving them fits, every time they turned around it was something else that needed replacing. I think they did get it running, but I recall they were having similar issues with the ECM/BCM. Seriously, I would call them, this was just a week or two ago and I am sure is still fresh in everyone's memory. Tell them Mike from Waterloo told you about this and to call. I hope this helps you out.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , kmk
(10-15-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  Oh man... I was just up at Tri-County International in Jackson MI. If that was not you in there, you may want to give Mark the service manager a call, (517) 783-2721. They just had a ProStar in there that was hit by lightning. It blew out every sensor and electronic component on that truck. They were at $20,000+ in parts the last time I saw it. I believe they said it had been in the shop for over a month and was giving them fits, every time they turned around it was something else that needed replacing. I think they did get it running, but I recall they were having similar issues with the ECM/BCM. Seriously, I would call them, this was just a week or two ago and I am sure is still fresh in everyone's memory. Tell them Mike from Waterloo told you about this and to call. I hope this helps you out.

I have seen what lightning does to electronics. Years ago, I have had my fair share of repairing circuit boards that were completely melted out sometimes. I was even faced once with an old GE-1050 CNC control that got a direct hit. The minus 5 volts supply to all the large logic boards (about 8 of them) shorted out and went to +38 volts at full current. It literally burned out hundreds of logic chips. G.E. refused to give me the schematics for any of it and all the part numbers had been rubbed off the chips. It took me almost 3 months in my spare time to reverse engineer all the logic boards and repair them all but it was still cheaper than the $3600 per board to replace.

replyreply
I have had my share of lightning hits, not good. Head, hand and leg... Still kicking! All indoors and each time with witnesses... Got to the point when a storm came along I was made to go sit in the pick up. LOL! Next time, if there is another, I am afraid I will not be so lucky.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.