Tire Inflation Article. Interesting.
10-17-2017, (Subject: Tire Inflation Article. Interesting. ) 
RE: Tire Inflation Article. Interesting.
(10-16-2017 )Grizzly Wrote:  The Magic Number

If you’re arbitrarily filling drive and trailer tires to 100 psi, you could be sacrificing tire life.

August 6, 2013 | by Jim Park

Grizzly, I know you are not Jim Park, this is directed at the article.

Jim Park, point blank, you are a shill to anyone who will pay you one single green dollar bill to say what they want you to say.

Where is your research verifying the verbal diarrhea you spew?

I see a lot of "quotes" and "talk" from tire manufacturers, pst...the guys who want to sell you tires to make money! about running lower pressure, but where is their research data?

There is one factual point in the article, but it is not the one they focus on. That fact, plain and simple, one tire pressure number is NOT the optimum for every load. I cannot and will not dispute a fact. Every single load (unless the weight never varies, impossible) will have a slightly different optimum pressure value based on weight, temperature, road surface substrate, speed, climate, etc.
If you want to find that optimum it's not that difficult...get a thermal imager and get a temperature reading across the surface of the tread and adjust pressure until there is no variance...ok, so in all reality is actually quite difficult and you'll never have it "right", but by all means go ahead and try.

Under inflated tires actually do provide a benefit.
Yes I really did say that.
But you will never see that benefit in a class 8 vehicle. Laws of physics and the Law of the Land will not allow it to be realized.
An under inflated tire with enough speed, which you cannot achieve, will actually "grow" because of centrifugal force and the speed gains and added mechanical efficiency to be an effective cost offset. They simply are not built to withstand the forces required to see these advantages. And conversely if you could see sufficient speed to gain these advantages, you will then begin to experience center high point wear.

A lower inflation pressure results in an increased "footprint". The first thought that most people think when they hear this is better weight distribution which should be better right? Yes, but here's why it's actually wrong; the incresead footprint then also results in a longer "dwell" time that the contact area of the tire is physically supporting the load. This increased dwell time will result in increased wear, resulting in lower overall tread-wear life. This increased wear will give the appearance of a smoother flatter wear seducing you into thinking your tires are wearing better. And they are. They are wearing flatter, and better, but they are also wearing faster ultimately resulting in lower overall treadwear mileage life.

Here is the choice;
Tire A: worn perfectly flat, the tread depth measurement is 100% equal across the face as well as the entire circumference of the tire
Tier B: worn with light patterns showing, and depth is lower along the center than the edges and is not truly consistently worn

Most people say they want Tire A. I'll take Tire B. It doesn't appear as pretty at end of life cycle, but it lasted 400k miles to Tire A's 300k miles. That's 100k free tire expense miles, and I'll take free expense miles any day I can, and twice on Sunday.

And I haven't even started with the rolling resistance part of the discussion yet. I've had a couple of beers and a shitty day so I'm not gonna start on that right now, but holy sh!t anybody that believe there isn't that much difference has zero understanding of basic physics, and has no right writing an article giving advise on the subject. Wow.

Here, let me tell you about biochemistry. I mean I must know how it works, because the 'roid freak from the local gym told what this crap he injects himself with really does...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tire Inflation Article. Interesting. - Hammerhead - 10-17-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.