Trailer lights fuse
10-19-2017, (Subject: Trailer lights fuse ) 
RE: Trailer lights fuse
I had similar issues with a Pete, wound up taking it to a shop. They found the ground strap from the fifth wheel to the frame was broken. Worth a look.
replyreply
Try unhooking stuff one at a time , I know it's not easy .but unhook cablights, skirt lights , ect . See if it makes a difference , might point you in the right direction

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Fergie
This thing is driving me to drink more! Last night it was blowing fairly quick while park. Since I fiddled with things after that it now only blows going down the road. Following a local farm mechanic's advice I put an 20 amp inline fuse on the brown wire on trailer plug. Maybe it won't work but the theory is if it's the trailer it'll blow the 20 amp if it's the tractor the 30 amp will blow. Of course I hooked that up and lights stayed on for 20 minutes and I was wiggling wires on the truck during the this time. Find out in the morning I guess hopefully it'll be a starting point.
replyreply
Check that fifth wheel ground strap? Went through the same issues, the strap was broken but not all the way through, it was hanging by a thread so to speak.
replyreply
(10-19-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  Check that fifth wheel ground strap? Went through the same issues, the strap was broken but not all the way through, it was hanging by a thread so to speak.

No, can you give me a general area to look on the fifth wheel. The ground from the pigtail goes by the control module by transmission. I was to fat to see where it went to plus about 15 strands of wire/hose hiding it.
replyreply
Normally it is a braided stainless steel strap. It will normally attach to the bottom of the actual fifth wheel and attached to the frame rail. We chased this for three or four days and wound up taking it in to a mom and pop shop. They figured it out in a few hours of dropping it off. Almost identical symptoms, drove me nuts.

Looks like this... https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-ENGIN...1866874570
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Fergie
(10-19-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  Normally it is a braided stainless steel strap. It will normally attach to the bottom of the actual fifth wheel and attached to the frame rail. We chased this for three or four days and wound up taking it in to a mom and pop shop. They figured it out in a few hours of dropping it off. Almost identical symptoms, drove me nuts.

Looks like this... https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-ENGIN...1866874570
Thanks for the link I will check this out first thing in the morning.
replyreply
10-20-2017, (Subject: Trailer lights fuse ) 
This SOB! Lol. Drove 25 miles this morning and have been sitting an hour and no fuse has blown yet. Going to keep lights on all day. Didn't see a ground strap on the fifth wheel.
replyreply
10-20-2017, (Subject: Trailer lights fuse ) 
(10-20-2017 )Fergie Wrote:  This SOB! Lol. Drove 25 miles this morning and have been sitting an hour and no fuse has blown yet. Going to keep lights on all day. Didn't see a ground strap on the fifth wheel.

Back in the mid 90's when I was still a company driver the carrier was sending a truck to the auction 250 miles away. I was the driver chosen to get it there because it was most likely to get there with a gentle driver as it was a bit sick. To make some money they sent me down with a set of trains and a token load of about 10000 lbs, just enough to pay for the fuel.

I got to the first brake check of three about 1/2 hour before it got dark and all the tail/cl lights were out on the back trailer. I played with the plugs, cord, checked the fuses, I even dropped the back trailer so I could look around the plate and see if there was a hanging wire that got broken. Nothing worked so I put it back together and used the 4 ways to get to the next brake check and went to bed for the night. Woke up in the morning and everything worked and continued to work all the way to the terminal 3 hours away. JOOTT

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.