Crawling under the truck...
10-20-2017, (Subject: Crawling under the truck... ) 
RE: Crawling under the truck...
Refrigerant U/V dye, like that is used in A/C systems. You can get it in a tiny bottle. Doesn't take much...wouldn't use much either. A small...and I do mean a small amount.

Something I learned along the way. Most will end up in the dryer cartridge. I've heard some people put it into the compressor inlet, to help atomize it somewhat...I've heard of people who put it into their air tanks but that seems dumb to me. It needs to be able to get picked up by the airstream to move about the air system, that's the idea.

Soapy spray bottle works well, this is supposed to be for those anal types like me I guess. Find even the tiniest of leaks. Wonder what rawze thinks about it...?

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: gatow900
Por-15 is kick ass. I needle scaled the back half of my frame when I had all my wheels off doing brakes.. best part with that stuff is you can apply with a brush and it dries smooth. I've only used the red top coat but it's thick and hardens right up. Buddy of mine has fiberglassed with the black stuff it hardens up so much lol. See how it fairs this winter, I applied it my new oil pan before I installed, APU cover and frame. Oil pan only lasted 2 years before it rotted and APU cover wasn't fairing to well after 1 winter. Eastern Canada winters is a good test for the stuff. Pictures attached were all done with a brush. Oil pan and APU turned out nice. Frame looks pretty good from about the distance the picture is taken, got a little carried away with the paint lol

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Roysbigtoys , JMBT , gatow900 , LargeCar
Looks good!!!

User's Signature: "KW is my choice of trucks"
replyreply
(10-20-2017 )bazdan902 Wrote:  Por-15 is kick ass.

It looks really good there.

Just remember that when you open a can of the stuff, you had best make damn sure the underside of the lid and the rim of the can are perfectly clean before putting the lid back on. If you don't, you will destroy the can trying to get the lid off again a day or 2 later. - YES, it is that tough. - I ended up resorting to to buying cases of the tiny cans instead of the bigger cans for just that reason.

I have never used the top coat stuff. I have always used the black stuff that you can put right on the rusty metal after you have taken all the loose stuff off, then painting over it with a different color wherever necessary. I guess that would be what the top coat would be normally used for.

Got something rusty as hell that you never want to rust again? - Clean off all the rust as best you can. Wet it good with phosphoric acid and let it dry. Wire brush and clean it good, then use the black POR-15 thats made to be painted right onto the rusty metal (it only comes in black). Top coat it if you don't want it black.

I am not trying to promote them. Could care less. It is just my own experience working with the stuff.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , gatow900 , Waterloo , dhirocz , barf , LargeCar
Where do you guys get the POR-15? Online? or brick and mortar?

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
(10-20-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  Where do you guys get the POR-15? Online? or brick and mortar?

Amazon is where I ordered mine. Or if your in Canada I have seen the black stuff at Canadian tire. You could definitely do a real nice job on a frame or anything really if you do it like rawze mentions. I was more or less prolonging the need for a complete tear down. Proper job would be black coat first as it is meant for permanent rust proofing. Stuff takes a while to dry much longer then regular paint so don't be in to much of a rush although I hear the black stuff is not as bad for dry time.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , barf
I'll have to remember that when I end up swapping my fifth wheel. That would be a good time to POR15 everything...easy access at that point.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.