Testing your intake for leaks.
10-19-2017, (Subject: Testing your intake for leaks. ) 
Testing your intake for leaks.
Here is a video that gives a few tips on checking your intake system for boost leaks.

If you have a Volvo these guys have quite a few how to vids on the truck.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: victory26 , gatow900 , dhirocz , JMBT , Roysbigtoys
10-20-2017, (Subject: Testing your intake for leaks. ) 
RE: Testing your intake for leaks.
I was just thinking about this today. I was thinking about making a new rig to go with my homemade stainless CAC tester to pressurize the whole system...

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
11-11-2017, (Subject: Testing your intake for leaks. ) 
I believe this will only work on Volvos!!
replyreply
another method...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...21#pid8321

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
My only concern with this boost leak tester is since you are constantly pushing air through the turbo, the turbo will be rotating. Since the engine is not running and supplying the turbo with oil, there is a chance that you could damage the turbo.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
(11-11-2017 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  My only concern with this boost leak tester is since you are constantly pushing air through the turbo, the turbo will be rotating. Since the engine is not running and supplying the turbo with oil, there is a chance that you could damage the turbo.

The volume isn't high enough to spin the turbo very much or fast. As pressure equalizes on both the fresh air in side as the charged intake side, the turbine will no longer have a "driving force" turning it.
When you shut your truck down, the turbine will still be spinning even though the gear driven oil pump has stopped supplying the turbo, there would be higher turbine speeds and duration during this time than doing an intake system test to equalization.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(11-11-2017 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  My only concern with this boost leak tester is since you are constantly pushing air through the turbo, the turbo will be rotating. Since the engine is not running and supplying the turbo with oil, there is a chance that you could damage the turbo.

The way I do it, I block off the intake at the air cleaner and the exhaust right behind the turbo. No air can escape the engine at all (with the exception of any leaks that need to be fixed somewhere), and no air is flowing at any rate. It is simply building a pressure in the engine and systems. turbo never moves.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.