CM-871 Overhead...
01-17-2018, (Subject: CM-871 Overhead... ) 
RE: CM-871 Overhead...
My accountant puts all tools purchases under parts purchases. They are assets but wear out therefore need to be replaced from time to time so why would they need to be depreciated like a hard asset over a period of years. Not a very good accountant.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Wiseman , JMBT
(01-17-2018 )Starlight Wrote:  My accountant puts all tools purchases under parts purchases. They are assets but wear out therefore need to be replaced from time to time so why would they need to be depreciated like a hard asset over a period of years. Not a very good accountant.

Yes for you as a shop, tools are consumed/depreciate at a much faster rate than as an "accessory/maintenance component" was how my acct explained it to me, so your threshold is much higher.
I'm sure if you bought a shiny new >$10k toolbox your acct would depreciate it because a toolbox doesn't wear out in one year, however it could easily be argued that what for an O/O like ddlighttruck or myself would be a several years useable tool, for your would easily be worn out in time for an annual depreciation.
Same idea as computers and specialty software, it depreciates out in 3 years for us who use a computer (not a diagnostic unit, but an office unit) to "enhance/simplify our business", but I have a friend that is a custom computer builder and software developer. Because of his "need to be on top of advancements" he is allowed to completely write off/depreciate 6 computers by 90% in the first calendar year of production with no problem...Cousin Justin's CRA henchmen would take us straight to court for trying that...

He also explained the exceptional circumstance claim;
Now if I was to purchase a mid-stop counterbore tool during an inframe, I could argue that it would be acceptable to depreciate/write off this tool in this tax year because the cost of the tool is less than the cost of labour to rebuild my motor, and I already own the rest of the tools to complete said job, so it is a financially justifiable expense, even as a "one time use". If the labour costs of having an inframe done was less than the cost of this one tool, then too bad so sad, depreciate over 5 years...

This is why I drive a truck instead of being a tax lawyer...too damn many "exceptions".

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Wiseman , Rawze , JMBT
So what's the wedges and crank pin for? I watched Rawzes overhead video last night, and skimmed it again tonight. I don't see them used.
Cummins said $500 for the set of wedges.

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
01-18-2018, (Subject: CM-871 Overhead... ) 
(01-17-2018 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  So what's the wedges and crank pin for? I watched Rawzes overhead video last night, and skimmed it again tonight. I don't see them used.

The crank pin locks the crank to the block.
It is from here that all engine base timing is done.
Once the crank is pinned, the when the rocker cover is off you drop the correct wedges (they have precise angles machined into them) in the groove in the head and the "degree angle" of the wedge should match the flat spot machined into the cams.
If it matches perfectly, base timing IS correct.
If it doesn't match, then the cam gears must be removed and the base timing procedure started from the beginning.

That's why I asked if you owned or had access to these tools, without them you have no real way to check the timing. The odds of your timing being out are slim, and if it is, because the age of your engine I would suggest that gear wear increasing backlash would be the most likely culprit.

Don't waste your money buying them at cummins, unless your seriously into working on engines, you won't need the wedge set. Text me if you really want a set and I can put you in touch with a guy that will sell you the wedges, pin, and puller along with a whole lot more...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDlighttruck
01-18-2018, (Subject: CM-871 Overhead... ) 
(01-18-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(01-17-2018 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  So what's the wedges and crank pin for? I watched Rawzes overhead video last night, and skimmed it again tonight. I don't see them used.

The crank pin locks the crank to the block.
It is from here that all engine base timing is done.
Once the crank is pinned, the when the rocker cover is off you drop the correct wedges (they have precise angles machined into them) in the groove in the head and the "degree angle" of the wedge should match the flat spot machined into the cams.
If it matches perfectly, base timing IS correct.
If it doesn't match, then the cam gears must be removed and the base timing procedure started from the beginning.

That's why I asked if you owned or had access to these tools, without them you have no real way to check the timing. The odds of your timing being out are slim, and if it is, because the age of your engine I would suggest that gear wear increasing backlash would be the most likely culprit.

Don't waste your money buying them at cummins, unless your seriously into working on engines, you won't need the wedge set. Text me if you really want a set and I can put you in touch with a guy that will sell you the wedges, pin, and puller along with a whole lot more...
Gotcha, that makes perfect sense.

I ordered a couple socket sets and feeler gauges this morning from the tool truck. I forgot to order T handle allen wrenches. I should have everything else needed, so damn you I may do it myself the first time. Thanks for the encouragement.

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
01-19-2018, (Subject: CM-871 Overhead... ) 
(01-17-2018 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  Gotcha, that makes perfect sense.

I ordered a couple socket sets and feeler gauges this morning from the tool truck. I forgot to order T handle allen wrenches. I should have everything else needed, so damn you I may do it myself the first time. Thanks for the encouragement.

Hehe, let me know when you plan to do it, and if I'm not busy you know you can call and I'll walk you through it...
Or you could just get a load out west and we'll drink beer and I'll watch you do it and give you pointers along the way. Important ones, like "No, you lift the tab on the beer this way and you don't get grease from your finger on the part of the top you put your lips in when you dink it!"

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Roysbigtoys , the missing link , DDlighttruck

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.