CM-871 Overhead...
10-23-2017, (Subject: CM-871 Overhead... ) 
RE: CM-871 Overhead...
LOL! Thanks Rawze! I needed that! And yes, 8 nm, I already set up the torque wrench. My bad.
replyreply
11-16-2017, (Subject: CM-871 Overhead... ) 
(10-22-2017 )Rawze Wrote:   "gotta have a certain specific amount of drag to the feeler gauge" is complete bulls$it. Its a big clunky diesel engine, not a hinda civic.

I'm not sure if it was the long day, or the fact I just put a new head on my daughter's civic, but thanks for the laugh.
replyreply
01-14-2018, (Subject: CM-871 Overhead... ) 
I assume I read it on here- how many of you check the cam timing and backlash when doing a top set?
I need to do my fan hub, and a top set, I was thinking to try to get as much done in one shot as I can.

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
(01-14-2018 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  I assume I read it on here- how many of you check the cam timing and backlash when doing a top set?
I need to do my fan hub, and a top set, I was thinking to try to get as much done in one shot as I can.

Do you have a crank pin, timing wedges, and a cam gear puller?
You use the pin & wedges to check the timing, you'll need the cam gear puller if it is out.
If you've got the fan hub off & want to pull the front gear cover and check/tighten the backlash, that may not be a bad idea. Unless your cams were not timed right in the first place, it is highly unlikely that they are out.
For a quick check, I insert the crank pun and drop the wedges in and make sure they are flush against the flat on the cam. I've not yet found one that was out of time.

With the time and miles on your truck, I'd think the gear wear and increased backlash, and there won't be much, would be the most likely root cause if your cam timing was out.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDlighttruck , Rockhwy
(01-14-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(01-14-2018 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  I assume I read it on here- how many of you check the cam timing and backlash when doing a top set?

Do you have a crank pin, timing wedges, and a cam gear puller?
You use the pin & wedges to check the timing, you'll need the cam gear puller if it is out.
If you've got the fan hub off & want to pull the front gear cover and check/tighten the backlash, that may not be a bad idea. Unless your cams were not timed right in the first place, it is highly unlikely that they are out.
For a quick check, I insert the crank pun and drop the wedges in and make sure they are flush against the flat on the cam. I've not yet found one that was out of time.

With the time and miles on your truck, I'd think the gear wear and increased backlash, and there won't be much, would be the most likely root cause if your cam timing was out.
No I have none of those tools yet, nor do I own crowsfoot or flarenut sockets. I would be doing it at my mechanics shop, alongside of him. I don't know how much you would invest in the tools vs. paying some shop labour would be. (I can't think of one time I have wished for flarenut sockets) I also only have straight feeler gauges

It's been on the maintenance list for awhile to get done, more so just so I know where things are.

replyreply
01-15-2018, (Subject: CM-871 Overhead... ) 
(01-14-2018 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  No I have none of those tools yet, nor do I own crowsfoot or flarenut sockets. I would be doing it at my mechanics shop, alongside of him. I don't know how much you would invest in the tools vs. paying some shop labour would be. (I can't think of one time I have wished for flarenut sockets) I also only have straight feeler gauges

It's been on the maintenance list for awhile to get done, more so just so I know where things are.

The flarenut sockets were a couple hundred for the set...(you only need a 13 & 19mm to do an ISX overhead! The 24mm for 570, 870, 871 injectors I do with a socket. A flare or crow will not fit in there nicely to fully torque and slipping off is almost assured.)
I didn't get all my tools at one time, it has taken me years to accumulate what I've got. If you want maximum value for mass tool purchases, you need to have access to cash. Look for mechanics who are retiring or deceased and offer to buy everything lock, stock, n barrel. You can buy large quantities of tools for $.025 on the $1.00, but you're usually looking at $5k or more to convince someone to sell.
I don't have truck payments, so tools are an excellent tax deduction that pay for themselves countless times over.
This is just a matter of opinion...generally if you do the job yourself and buy the tools to do said job, the net cost result is the same, but the time commitment is always longer, you don't have the experience and know the fastest order to do things as someone that does it day in and day out.
The payoff is twofold:
1)You still own the tools, so IF you did it wrong you can fix your mistake. And next time you have to do the job, you're faster, and you don't have to buy the tools so you're $$ ahead!
2)You know how the job was done. You know the procedure was followed correctly. YOU KNOW WHO TO BLAME IF IT WASN'T DONE RIGHT! And you know it was done right. IF, you have a problem on the road, you now know how to fix it...and because you know how this part/system works, you also know if/how to limp it home and fix it there! That is far more valuable than the cost of the tool.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , the missing link , JMBT
01-16-2018, (Subject: CM-871 Overhead... ) 
(01-15-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(01-14-2018 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  No I have none of those tools yet, nor do I own crowsfoot or flarenut sockets. I would be doing it at my mechanics shop, alongside of him. I don't know how much you would invest in the tools vs. paying some shop labour would be. (I can't think of one time I have wished for flarenut sockets) I also only have straight feeler gauges

The flarenut sockets were a couple hundred for the set...(you only need a 13 & 19mm to do an ISX overhead! The 24mm for 570, 870, 871 injectors I do with a socket. A flare or crow will not fit in there nicely to fully torque and slipping off is almost assured.)
I didn't get all my tools at one time, it has taken me years to accumulate what I've got. If you want maximum value for mass tool purchases, you need to have access to cash. Look for mechanics who are retiring or deceased and offer to buy everything lock, stock, n barrel. You can buy large quantities of tools for $.025 on the $1.00, but you're usually looking at $5k or more to convince someone to sell.
I don't have truck payments, so tools are an excellent tax deduction that pay for themselves countless times over.
This is just a matter of opinion...generally if you do the job yourself and buy the tools to do said job, the net cost result is the same, but the time commitment is always longer, you don't have the experience and know the fastest order to do things as someone that does it day in and day out.
The payoff is twofold:
1)You still own the tools, so IF you did it wrong you can fix your mistake. And next time you have to do the job, you're faster, and you don't have to buy the tools so you're $$ ahead!
2)You know how the job was done. You know the procedure was followed correctly. YOU KNOW WHO TO BLAME IF IT WASN'T DONE RIGHT! And you know it was done right. IF, you have a problem on the road, you now know how to fix it...and because you know how this part/system works, you also know if/how to limp it home and fix it there! That is far more valuable than the cost of the tool.
My accountant told me to be careful of tool purchases, if I decide to close the business down any tools that the company purchased should be included in what the business sells off when it closes. I suppose there would be a way for me to buy them from the business, but anyway that's what I was told.

I guess I'll call my Snap On dealer and local Cummins shop and start pricing this stuff out.

I've been buying Snap On tools for almost 15 years too, it takes a long time to get what you need. Best used purchase was a 3/4" socket set for $400 cash, all Snap On, and that included the ratchet, extensions and 6 large wrenches. New just the wrenches are $100-200 off the truck.

replyreply
01-16-2018, (Subject: CM-871 Overhead... ) 
I would have fired the accountant.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz , Hammerhead , adam isx , Wiseman , JMBT
01-17-2018, (Subject: CM-871 Overhead... ) 
(01-14-2018 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  My accountant told me to be careful of tool purchases, if I decide to close the business down any tools that the company purchased should be included in what the business sells off when it closes. I suppose there would be a way for me to buy them from the business, but anyway that's what I was told.

(01-16-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  I would have fired the accountant.

Me too.
Tool purchases are completely tax deductible, they are "tools to do the job after all!"
In Canada, where it gets kinda concerning is 'major tool acquisitions', which is individual tools worth over CA$1000.00.
Example: high end electronic boroscope, quality thermal imager, large roller cabinet toolbox, welder, etc. These are considered 'Capitol Acquisitions' and must be depreciated over time as opposed to single tax year deductible. After 5 years, they are depreciated to "no residual value", so at that point, they are yours because they ar no longer "on the books".
Non Example: complete socket set (like say a full Snap-On set of 1/4" drive, 3/8" drive, 1/2" drive, and 3/4" drive with a short handle, long handle, and swivel head ratchet for each size). This is not a "single tool", but a conglomeration of multiple tools, and they would be listed individually by size on the invoice. Note: This WOULD NOT include an "Apprentice Set" or such, because that is considered a 'Captitol Acquisition'.
Of course tools would absolutely be a line item with a value attached to it on your business asset list/balance sheet, because they are not worthless. However at business closure time, it's not a big deal, because tools are typically broken down to small sets to be sold off at garage sales and such for $0.05 on the dollar, so your company can "bonus them" to you at $0.05 on the dollar as a taxable benefit upon closure/retirement. So your depreciated tools at end of career are worth say $10,000.00, so you end up with a taxable benefit of $500.00, even if you're in the upper tax brackets of 38%, that men's you'll pay Cousin Justin's descendent $190.00 in taxes to retain your tools...
Your accountant isn't too bright.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Wiseman , JMBT , rgreen

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.