CM-871 Overhead...
10-20-2017, (Subject: CM-871 Overhead... ) 
RE: CM-871 Overhead...
Not really. Mr Hagg showed Rawze that a slight increase in clearance resulted in increased overhead oil flow at operating temp. I don't have the thread to link, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly. I Believe the recommendation was 0.015 & 0.028.

I use a personal slight increase of clearance for improved overhead oiling.
I do 0.016" intake in place of 0.014", and 0.030" exhaust ipo 0.027". I do this because of my torque loading, I suspect my valvetrain sees extended heat so I suspect extra expansion. When I climb big hard pulls I can still hear the clicking in the valvetrain which tells me I still have good clearance during high heat cycles, and that's what I'm looking for. QS procedure says to "make all measurements with engine cold. Coolant at 140 or below." I do mine at dead cold overnight sitting, which is also why I use the clearances I do, take that into account in your determination.

I use 4 torque wrenches, just because I have them.
I set them as follows;
1)Dial tourque wrench w/ 8mm Allen, needle set to 8Nm (71 in/lbs, but Nm is easier to read)
2)1/2" torque wrench w/ 24mm socket to set @ 55 ft/lbs
^these two are for the injector preload and jam nut^
3)3/8" torque wrench w/ 19mm flare nut set to 33 ft/lbs (valve jam nut)
4)1/4" torque wrench w/ 13mm flare nut set to 177 in/lbs (Jake jam nut)
I prefer flare nuts to crows feet, less chance of slipping off, but use whatcha got.

I have T handle Allen wrenches, the 3 sizes are;
1)8 mm for injector
2)6 mm for valve adjusters
3)3 mm for Jake adjusters
I use just my thumb and pointer finger rolling motion on the shaft of the Allen to set the adjuster, that is about the 5 in/lbs they say to set the adjuster tension at for lockdown. After lockdown I do a slide test for resistance to verify I don't have the tension too tight. You should be able to move the feeler without force.

Of course a 3/4" with short extension, to bar the motor over.
I got one of these dual feeler holders which are nice because the color coding makes identifying which one I have/need easier.

I always do 3 pressure squeezes on everything to ensure the oil gets squished out to do a proper adjustment.
That's how I do it, and here is a pic of what I use...plus whatever you need to remove for access on your model of truck of course

You have my number, give me a shout if you need to...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Dd614 , Waterloo , hhow55 , Techmech , gatow900 , Rawze , JMBT , ZeroNthedark , Midland , Brock , barf , Snuffy , Pro Star Cummins , scottydogtruck

Messages In This Thread
CM-871 Overhead... - Waterloo - 10-20-2017,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - Hammerhead - 10-20-2017
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - Rawze - 10-22-2017,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - JMBT - 10-22-2017,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - Rawze - 10-22-2017,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - Rawze - 01-16-2018,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.