CM-871 Overhead...
01-14-2018, (Subject: CM-871 Overhead... ) 
RE: CM-871 Overhead...
(01-14-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(01-14-2018 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  I assume I read it on here- how many of you check the cam timing and backlash when doing a top set?
I need to do my fan hub, and a top set, I was thinking to try to get as much done in one shot as I can.

Do you have a crank pin, timing wedges, and a cam gear puller?
You use the pin & wedges to check the timing, you'll need the cam gear puller if it is out.
If you've got the fan hub off & want to pull the front gear cover and check/tighten the backlash, that may not be a bad idea. Unless your cams were not timed right in the first place, it is highly unlikely that they are out.
For a quick check, I insert the crank pun and drop the wedges in and make sure they are flush against the flat on the cam. I've not yet found one that was out of time.

With the time and miles on your truck, I'd think the gear wear and increased backlash, and there won't be much, would be the most likely root cause if your cam timing was out.
No I have none of those tools yet, nor do I own crowsfoot or flarenut sockets. I would be doing it at my mechanics shop, alongside of him. I don't know how much you would invest in the tools vs. paying some shop labour would be. (I can't think of one time I have wished for flarenut sockets) I also only have straight feeler gauges

It's been on the maintenance list for awhile to get done, more so just so I know where things are.

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
CM-871 Overhead... - Waterloo - 10-20-2017,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - Rawze - 10-22-2017,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - JMBT - 10-22-2017,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - Rawze - 10-22-2017,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - DDlighttruck - 01-14-2018
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - Rawze - 01-16-2018,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.