CM-871 Overhead...
01-16-2018, (Subject: CM-871 Overhead... ) 
RE: CM-871 Overhead...
(01-15-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(01-14-2018 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  No I have none of those tools yet, nor do I own crowsfoot or flarenut sockets. I would be doing it at my mechanics shop, alongside of him. I don't know how much you would invest in the tools vs. paying some shop labour would be. (I can't think of one time I have wished for flarenut sockets) I also only have straight feeler gauges

It's been on the maintenance list for awhile to get done, more so just so I know where things are.

The flarenut sockets were a couple hundred for the set...(you only need a 13 & 19mm to do an ISX overhead! The 24mm for 570, 870, 871 injectors I do with a socket. A flare or crow will not fit in there nicely to fully torque and slipping off is almost assured.)
I didn't get all my tools at one time, it has taken me years to accumulate what I've got. If you want maximum value for mass tool purchases, you need to have access to cash. Look for mechanics who are retiring or deceased and offer to buy everything lock, stock, n barrel. You can buy large quantities of tools for $.025 on the $1.00, but you're usually looking at $5k or more to convince someone to sell.
I don't have truck payments, so tools are an excellent tax deduction that pay for themselves countless times over.
This is just a matter of opinion...generally if you do the job yourself and buy the tools to do said job, the net cost result is the same, but the time commitment is always longer, you don't have the experience and know the fastest order to do things as someone that does it day in and day out.
The payoff is twofold:
1)You still own the tools, so IF you did it wrong you can fix your mistake. And next time you have to do the job, you're faster, and you don't have to buy the tools so you're $$ ahead!
2)You know how the job was done. You know the procedure was followed correctly. YOU KNOW WHO TO BLAME IF IT WASN'T DONE RIGHT! And you know it was done right. IF, you have a problem on the road, you now know how to fix it...and because you know how this part/system works, you also know if/how to limp it home and fix it there! That is far more valuable than the cost of the tool.
My accountant told me to be careful of tool purchases, if I decide to close the business down any tools that the company purchased should be included in what the business sells off when it closes. I suppose there would be a way for me to buy them from the business, but anyway that's what I was told.

I guess I'll call my Snap On dealer and local Cummins shop and start pricing this stuff out.

I've been buying Snap On tools for almost 15 years too, it takes a long time to get what you need. Best used purchase was a 3/4" socket set for $400 cash, all Snap On, and that included the ratchet, extensions and 6 large wrenches. New just the wrenches are $100-200 off the truck.

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
CM-871 Overhead... - Waterloo - 10-20-2017,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - Rawze - 10-22-2017,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - JMBT - 10-22-2017,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - Rawze - 10-22-2017,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - DDlighttruck - 01-16-2018
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - Rawze - 01-16-2018,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.