CM-871 Overhead...
01-18-2018, (Subject: CM-871 Overhead... ) 
RE: CM-871 Overhead...
(01-17-2018 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  So what's the wedges and crank pin for? I watched Rawzes overhead video last night, and skimmed it again tonight. I don't see them used.
Cummins said $500 for the set of wedges.

The crank pin locks the crank to the block.
It is from here that all engine base timing is done.
Once the crank is pinned, the when the rocker cover is off you drop the correct wedges (they have precise angles machined into them) in the groove in the head and the "degree angle" of the wedge should match the flat spot machined into the cams.
If it matches perfectly, base timing IS correct.
If it doesn't match, then the cam gears must be removed and the base timing procedure started from the beginning.

That's why I asked if you owned or had access to these tools, without them you have no real way to check the timing. The odds of your timing being out are slim, and if it is, because the age of your engine I would suggest that gear wear increasing backlash would be the most likely culprit.

Don't waste your money buying them at cummins, unless your seriously into working on engines, you won't need the wedge set. Text me if you really want a set and I can put you in touch with a guy that will sell you the wedges, pin, and puller along with a whole lot more...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDlighttruck

Messages In This Thread
CM-871 Overhead... - Waterloo - 10-20-2017,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - Rawze - 10-22-2017,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - JMBT - 10-22-2017,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - Rawze - 10-22-2017,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - Rawze - 01-16-2018,
RE: CM-871 Overhead... - Hammerhead - 01-18-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.