broke down need a shop
10-24-2017, (Subject: broke down need a shop ) 
broke down need a shop
hello there guys, I have Peterbilt 387 with isx, I am broke down on side of i35 south of Des Moines, IA. I think my engine sized, anyone know of a good shop in this area?
replyreply
10-24-2017, (Subject: broke down need a shop ) 
RE: broke down need a shop
What is it doing for you to think your engine seized?

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
10-25-2017, (Subject: broke down need a shop ) 
while pulling a hill with a 40,000 load, it made an unusual squeal, and started loosing oil pressure, as I eased up and got up the hill to the off ramp the oil pressure was down to about 20psi, and was knocking, but boost pressure, coolant temp, and exhaust temp were all good. I limped it to the fuel stop on that exit, and shut it off. Checked oil and it wouldn't even touch the dip stick, it was about 3 gallons low by that time. ( I found that out later when towed to shop and we checked the level by adding oil.) but when I tried to turn over engine while still hit, it was very labored and would not hardly even turn. After cooking over night it did start up, after the mechanic made sure the turbo had not filled the air charger with oil. But at this point we haven't opened it the rest of the way. But it is knocking really bad, and the engine has no oil pressure even though there is oil now.,
replyreply
(10-25-2017 )Sasquatch Wrote:  while pulling a hill with a 40,000 load, it made an unusual squeal, and started loosing oil pressure, as I eased up and got up the hill to the off ramp the oil pressure was down to about 20psi, and was knocking, but boost pressure, coolant temp, and exhaust temp were all good. I limped it to the fuel stop on that exit, and shut it off. Checked oil and it wouldn't even touch the dip stick, it was about 3 gallons low by that time. ( I found that out later when towed to shop and we checked the level by adding oil.) but when I tried to turn over engine while still hit, it was very labored and would not hardly even turn. After cooking over night it did start up, after the mechanic made sure the turbo had not filled the air charger with oil. But at this point we haven't opened it the rest of the way. But it is knocking really bad, and the engine has no oil pressure even though there is oil now.,
3 gallons of oil have to go thru somewhere. Did you look underneath for oil leaks, drain some air from wet tank to make sure oil is not in air system?
Open the valve cover and oil pan to check.
replyreply
Yep. It was burnt, it leaked, or it moved. Gotta find that oil.

Has anyone barred the engine over to see how much rotational force it takes to turn over? Sometimes you can feel issues that way too.

Cut open the oil filter. Is metal present?

From the sounds of it though, the pan is going to end up having to come off.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
well guys the shop opened her up today and found that the #5 sleeve has a crack, the #5 rod bearing is spun, and the pin bushing is shot. They also said that either the can, or crank shaft has severe flaking going on. This engine supposedly had a total rebuild done last November, and has only been run for about 9 months. So the shop said he wasn't judging someone else's work, but to him it did not appear that the engine he was looking at had been rebuilt only a year ago. He also found that the serial number on my valve cover, no longer matches the serial number on my block, so it seems to me that my block was not rebuilt, but the previous shop swapped out my engine for some other engine... Without my knowledge.. So I would assume that perhaps the previous shop probably just installed a used engine that had been painted and perhaps it was an engine that already had this severe wear and damage hidden within it. Not sure, but I am very unhappy at this point, and not sure what I am going to do
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
What is the history of your truck, where she came from. Is engine 871 or newer model?
replyreply
(10-25-2017 )Sasquatch Wrote:  while pulling a hill with a 40,000 load, it made an unusual squeal, and started loosing oil pressure, as I eased up and got up the hill to the off ramp the oil pressure was down to about 20psi, and was knocking, but boost pressure, coolant temp, and exhaust temp were all good. I limped it to the fuel stop on that exit, and shut it off. Checked oil and it wouldn't even touch the dip stick, it was about 3 gallons low by that time. ( I found that out later when towed to shop and we checked the level by adding oil.) but when I tried to turn over engine while still hit, it was very labored and would not hardly even turn. After cooking over night it did start up, after the mechanic made sure the turbo had not filled the air charger with oil. But at this point we haven't opened it the rest of the way. But it is knocking really bad, and the engine has no oil pressure even though there is oil now.,

It sounds to me like it ran low of oil pressure first (most likely from 3 gallons low). Once that happened and it dropped pressure, the turbo squealed and it starved it of oil to the cooling nozzles and overheated the cylinders and pistons, spun a bearing, and the rest was over. Running it again after putting oil back in was not wise at all, and continued to cause damage.

Only real question,... When was the last time you checked the oil before this happened? If it was several days, then it could have been just about anyones guess as to where the oil went.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , simon999

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.