Losing Coolant somewhere
10-25-2017, (Subject: Losing Coolant somewhere ) 
Losing Coolant somewhere
Ok I have a 2011 International Prostar with the cummins isx 435 motor. I have noticed that I have been losing a ton of coolant. I have no obvious leaks. I've looked at some of your threads and it looks like I may have a egr issue. Can you help a brother out. Thanks a lot
replyreply
RE: Losing Coolant somewhere
Could be your EGR Cooler, any smoke out the exhaust? And warnings on the dash? Also, have you went around the truck and tightened all of your hose clamps? Sounds silly, but that was my discovery after a dealer whacked me for $2500 for a new EGR Cooler when all it was was a $10 hose clamp. I would start there, then if you can pressure test your cooling system you can easily check to see if the EGR Cooler is leaking or possibly at a hose.

How much coolant are you actually losing?
replyreply
Here is what you will need to pressure test your ProStar, same kit I have... If you do not have, I would highly recommend getting one of these kits, it will save you many headaches down the road.

Pump... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002S...UTF8&psc=1

Adapter for your coolant bottle... https://www.amazon.com/Stant-12026-Radia...54NY1CXP63
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(10-25-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  Could be your EGR Cooler, any smoke out the exhaust? And warnings on the dash? Also, have you went around the truck and tightened all of your hose clamps? Sounds silly, but that was my discovery after a dealer whacked me for $2500 for a new EGR Cooler when all it was was a $10 hose clamp. I would start there, then if you can pressure test your cooling system you can easily check to see if the EGR Cooler is leaking or possibly at a hose.

How much coolant are you actually losing?
Ok I'm having to put at least some water or coolant in at least once a week. But I got up this morning to get my day started and my dash said "warn engine" low coolant. So I looked under the hood to check coolant level and it was pretty low than normal. All hoses and clamps are pretty tight. Far as smoke out the exhaust yes I see white smoke from time to time when I'm going down the highway. Far as pressure test I would have to get that done today.
replyreply
White smoke could be coolant. Which is not good for your DPF and or DOC filter. Is the mandate still to on the truck? The DPF/DOC don’t play well with coolant, it pretty much destroys them and they are not cheap. I would pressure test the system and start at the EGR Cooler and I would also go around the truck and inspect/tighten all of your clamps. I would not drive the truck until you can at least verify that the EGR Cooler is either good or bad. I would also inspect the turbo, it to uses coolant, rare, but sometimes those will leak too. Start with the EGR Cooler. You also may need to drop the DPF/DOC filters to inspect. If you do, post the photos here. BUT, pressure test the Cooler before tearing anything apart.
replyreply
Ok I will get pressure test done today, and yes I still have the DPF filter on. And I will get all the clamps and things looked at today.
replyreply
You do have the Cummins CM-871 correct? Your truck does not use SCR DEF fluid, correct?
replyreply
Could also be injector cups or the doser maybe? I have a similar issue if I run my truck hard and it's hot out all day...it will consume a small amount of coolant. If I stay out of it, it hardly ever uses any. Glad I stay in the slow lane more often nowadays, not ready to do the head yet.

Pressure checking the system might help. I know rawze also made a video regarding the EGR cooler.

If coolant is getting into the exhaust, there should be some sort of evidence in the can. I know it's really bad for it.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.