Low coolant Temp
11-01-2017, (Subject: Low coolant Temp ) 
Low coolant Temp
I'm having a problem with a 2010 KW T660 cm 871, that i just purchased., non demandated.
While driving, coolant temps are about 130f, while outside temp's are 32f. When i park, the coolant temp goe's to 200f. I did discover an air leak, on the fan clutch yesterday. And when the fan clutch engages the engine cools down, while parked. But the temps drop very quickly, and falls to about 130f. Is there any other thing's i need to check?
Any pointer's are appreciated

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
11-01-2017, (Subject: Low coolant Temp ) 
RE: Low coolant Temp
Change out the thermostats. If it pulls down the temp. to less than 180 after the engine is warmed up one or both are stuck open. When the engine is under load it heats up beyond 180 because the stuck thermostat isn't fully opening up like it should allowing full coolant flow making it appear to run hot.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , JMBT
11-05-2017, (Subject: Low coolant Temp ) 
(11-01-2017 )schISM Wrote:  Change out the thermostats. If it pulls down the temp. to less than 180 after the engine is warmed up one or both are stuck open. When the engine is under load it heats up beyond 180 because the stuck thermostat isn't fully opening up like it should allowing full coolant flow making it appear to run hot.

Changed out the thermostat, and seal. Took it out on the highway, and held 180. And by the way, no coolant blowing out, Like Mr Waterloo situation. LOL

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Old Driver , Waterloo , schISM
I think my truck has same type of issue. '05 379 w/ 475hp 870 won't get warm this time of year. If it sits still for awhile the temp will be up to 180, but driving, while outside temp is 50 or lower, it won't get above maybe 125 on gauge. Drove a Sterling(w/ Mercedes motor) that did exact same thing, so kind of used to it, but makes winter driving a bit annoying. In the summer temps are fine, regularly around 200, but once it cools off forget about heat.

Should I look into a thermostat? And if I remember correctly, I have a 2-piece assembly, so what do I need to look out for?
replyreply
Sounds like you have the same issue, a stuck open thermostat. Change it out, it is an inexpensive part, and a crucial one. Don't forget any gaskets that you may need too, they are normally not included with the thermostat.

If you do that, you may as well change the coolant too and the filter if it has been awhile. I don't know where you are located, but I just changed the coolant in my 871, FleetPride sells a gallon of the red stuff for $8.99 in my neck of the woods. Beats the $16 a gallon Walmart sells it for, if you can even find the red stuff there. It is getting very hard to find for some reason other than at the dealers and a few truck stops.

http://fleetpride.com

If you don't know about FleetPride, and there is one nearby, it is a great place to shop for parts and pieces. Same if not better quality parts as the dealers, at half the cost. I bet they have your thermostat.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ZeroNthedark , hhow55 , JMBT
Thanks Waterloo! I'm in Western PA, don't think we have Fleetpride here, but do have Hovis, which is a local chain. Kind of 1 stop shopping, but also have been to Pete dealer in OH that seems to give me pretty decent pricing. And only 20 mins away!

I've done antifreeze twice in last year, had issues with lower hoses until I went to silicone. I get Rotella ELC, which is $13 for 50/50 or $25 for full strength, so a no brainer there!

Now time to spring for that vacuum filler deal that you guys have talked about. Never even heard of it until here, and no else has one, so I'll be 1st kid in town with one.
replyreply
Brother, that vacuum filler is the bomb! Took 5 minutes and some hustle and the system was full! Here is the link to the one I used, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002S...UTF8&psc=1

And Rawze put up a link to a super universal system in that other post.

Just don't forget to pick up at least 8 feet of 3/8 inch ID clear hose, you will need that if you want to keep both of your feet on the ground when filling the system. ;-)

Oh, you will need at least a 90 psi compressor, my little Home Depot one worked fine.

Oh, and a Turkey Baster to charge the pickup tube with coolant.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ZeroNthedark
(11-05-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  Oh, and a Turkey Baster to charge the pickup tube with coolant.
This was a question I had when reading about your coolant issues. Are you just making sure the tube is full before putting it in the bucket of coolant, so no trapped air bubbles? It makes sense, just want to be sure I understand what you're saying.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Yep, I submerged the 8’ hose in a bucket of coolant and used the turkey baster to fill the hose with coolant. There is a shutoff valve on mine, so it held the coolant with a vacuum when I hooked it all up to fill. No air!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ZeroNthedark

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.