Ecm replacement...
11-21-2017, (Subject: Ecm replacement... ) 
Ecm replacement...
I have a friend I'm going to link up with and try to get to the bottom of his J1939/ no primer pump/ SAS signal issue. His truck currently won't start, it will turn over but not start.

I have Insite, all sorts of adapters to plug into the ECM and etc... but if we can't find a problem in the wiring, and all the relays and fuses check out... it could be a faulty ecm

So since I have insite, wouldn't there be a way for me to load the the program back into the ecm?

I talked to a programmer guy in AR today and he said MM stood for "Mad Money"... I couldn't do anything but laugh... but he was like "if you have insite why are you calling me, you can load the file yourself"... ?
replyreply
11-21-2017, (Subject: Ecm replacement... ) 
RE: Ecm replacement...
(11-21-2017 )Kid Rock Wrote:  I have a friend I'm going to link up with and try to get to the bottom of his J1939/ no primer pump/ SAS signal issue. His truck currently won't start, it will turn over but not start.

I have Insite, all sorts of adapters to plug into the ECM and etc... but if we can't find a problem in the wiring, and all the relays and fuses check out... it could be a faulty ecm

So since I have insite, wouldn't there be a way for me to load the the program back into the ecm?

I talked to a programmer guy in AR today and he said MM stood for "Mad Money"... I couldn't do anything but laugh... but he was like "if you have insite why are you calling me, you can load the file yourself"... ?
I;m sure 999.999% the problem is not ECM.
Connect Insite to check sensors readings and sensor power supply.
What is the fuel actuator position commanded/measured
Fuel actuator current commanded/ measured
Crank engine for some is any fuel pressure in fuel rail.
At same time dig out of internet electrical circuits diagram for this truck. Trace down all modules involved in primer pump/ fuel actuator power.wire connections and plugs from engine compartment to inside the cab. Power and grounding !!!!!!!!!!
With Insite as I know you can download ECM with new calibration from Incal if you have Calibration counts open.
Good to check truck with Cummins fault viewer for more detailed info what is wrong with 1939.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Techmech , Kid Rock
11-22-2017, (Subject: Ecm replacement... ) 
I PM'd you my number. Maybe we can discuss the situation is in more detail.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kid Rock
11-22-2017, (Subject: Ecm replacement... ) 
(11-21-2017 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(11-21-2017 )Kid Rock Wrote:  I have a friend I'm going to link up with and try to get to the bottom of his J1939/ no primer pump/ SAS signal issue. His truck currently won't start, it will turn over but not start.

I;m sure 999.999% the problem is not ECM.
Connect Insite to check sensors readings and sensor power supply.
What is the fuel actuator position commanded/measured
Fuel actuator current commanded/ measured
Crank engine for some is any fuel pressure in fuel rail.
At same time dig out of internet electrical circuits diagram for this truck. Trace down all modules involved in primer pump/ fuel actuator power.wire connections and plugs from engine compartment to inside the cab. Power and grounding !!!!!!!!!!
With Insite as I know you can download ECM with new calibration from Incal if you have Calibration counts open.
Good to check truck with Cummins fault viewer for more detailed info what is wrong with 1939.

Ten four, thanks for that leg to stand on. He has a 2250, so I know there is a $80 relay that takes the ecm signal to the primer. That's one of my points of suspicion. Hope to figure this one out. Thanks!
replyreply
11-23-2017, (Subject: Ecm replacement... ) 
   UPDATE:

Been tracing down a lot of J1939 wires...

If the 2250 ecm gets its power straight from the battery via an inline fuse, I think I may have found the culprit...

*major symptoms have been, no primer pump, J1939 failure, CAN NOT hook insite up through the 9-pin or the dutch ( won't communicate ) ... motor won't start *

Found out;

[from the battery]-The positive wire, with in line fuse (30 amp), was in bad shape;
- the fuse was blown/corroded
- the fuse holder was corroded
- traced the wire up out the box, it was corroded and broken from the wire that goes up into what I think might be the ecm
- rewired it with all new wire, new fuse, new fuse holder

But on the ground side of this (ecm power?) circuit, I found a weird piece. It looks like an inline fuse or maybe a holder for a resistor? ... well it's corroded too and whatever was supposed to be plugged into is missing. Tomorrow we go to hunt for this piece so we can finish the circuit. And hopefully restore power to the ecm

Does anyone recognize this piece? It would be real nice to know what this is. It just says "AMP" on it ...

(2012 Pete 587 ISX 2250)

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
11-23-2017, (Subject: Ecm replacement... ) 
./uploads/201711/post_1790_1511495239_6cffbc66a686767b2420cf03e1a17ef4.pngOkay: I did not realize quickserve had wiring diagrams. That lead me to a better understanding! ...Yes, the wire and bad fuse is the power supply for the 2250 ECM. But it did say that the negative goes straight to the battery... so I wonder what that extra picture I showed was? An extra in-line fuse? But for the negative... ? Idk

But tomorrow we're going to route the negative straight to the negative battery post. Test for voltage and resistance at pin 1 on the OEM harness. If there is still an open circuit after our new wiring then it's going to be between the new wiring and that 7ft of wire that goes to the pin on the OEM harness.
replyreply
11-24-2017, (Subject: Ecm replacement... ) 
That bottom photo... That looks like some sort of aftermarket wiring for say an ELD or other tracking or location device. It does not look factory. Do you know the trucks history in regards to where it has worked? From your description of what you have found so far, it sounds like someone was hacking up the wiring installing and or removing something.
replyreply
11-24-2017, (Subject: Ecm replacement... ) 
Ground wires occasionally have fuses in them as well and they do burn out causing issues. If you do find the ground fused, don't bypass it. Install a new weather pack holder and fuse.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.