Here’s where I am at, what would you guys do?
11-12-2017, (Subject: Here’s where I am at, what would you guys do? ) 
Here’s where I am at, what would you guys do?
[attachment=3271]My brother and I have removed the whole front structure of the truck and removed the vibe dampner for replacement. It all went well. The pulley in front of the dampner gave the biggest fight but light tapping with a medium pickle fork between the pulley and dampner all around the assembly by barring over the motor for access to all points, separated the two and slid the pulley free of the shaft. The dampner followed without prying but required cleaning the crank nose with emery cloth to be pulled free.
Now that I am here, upon inspecting the front main seal it appears to have leaked a bit at some point but is not wet now, and looks like it has been dry quit a while.

Do I buy the tool for $255 and change it? Or let it ride since it doesn’t seem to have leaked for a long time, (all the dirt around it was bone dry).

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: Here’s where I am at, what would you guys do?
Your already that far in.. No point in pulling it apart again later.. Change the seal..
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
Without question change it. Youre already there and you said yourself at some time it was bad, well unless it was replaced/-fixed i dont see how it got better. Youre choice man, but but for a little more piece of mind id just replace.
replyreply
Change it.
replyreply
Replace the A/C belt and its tensioner too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(11-12-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Replace the A/C belt and its tensioner too.

Yup, now is the time. If I was home, I'd send you my instal/removal tool to borrow.
I'd also remove the crank position/speed sensors and anti-sieze the bolts and lube the sensors well so if you ever need to replace them, they are "prep'd" to not fight you.
I'd maybe consider doing the front engine mounts while you have simple access as well.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
11-13-2017, (Subject: Here’s where I am at, what would you guys do? ) 
Thanks for the input guys!! I figured you would all agree to change it, so I ordered the tool earlier today. It will be here Tuesday. I have the seal, dampner, crank sensor, a fan clutch rebuild kit, fan hub bearings, both belts, tensioners, and the AC idler pulley, all setting here in front of me ready to go!

Can any who have done the front main seal tell me what kind of grease they use on the new seal for installation???

Thanks

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(11-13-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  Thanks for the input guys!! I figured you would all agree to change it, so I ordered the tool earlier today. It will be here Tuesday. I have the seal, dampner, crank sensor, a fan clutch rebuild kit, fan hub bearings, both belts, tensioners, and the AC idler pulley, all setting here in front of me ready to go!

Can any who have done the front main seal tell me what kind of grease they use on the new seal for installation???

Thanks

Both front and rear crank seals install dry, don't use any lubricant on it. Be sure to have the surfaces in the front structure and the crankshaft clean before installing seal and you'll be fine.
replyreply
(11-13-2017 )Starlight Wrote:  
(11-13-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  Thanks for the input guys!! I figured you would all agree to change it, so I ordered the tool earlier today. It will be here Tuesday. I have the seal, dampner, crank sensor, a fan clutch rebuild kit, fan hub bearings, both belts, tensioners, and the AC idler pulley, all setting here in front of me ready to go!

Thanks

Both front and rear crank seals install dry, don't use any lubricant on it. Be sure to have the surfaces in the front structure and the crankshaft clean before installing seal and you'll be fine.

Hey, he's back!
I was up in FSJ a couple of times and tried calling you, but the number you PM'd me wasn't yours anymore...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.