Need ideas on a 871
11-16-2017, (Subject: Need ideas on a 871 ) 
Need ideas on a 871
I'm considering purchasing a repo. All the information I have is that turbo is bad, codes for doser, and delta p sensor missing. Truck has 628k on it. Oil is black and dirty.

If there's any ideas on how deep I'm going to end up, I'd appreciate it.

replyreply
RE: Need ideas on a 871
1# question is how much is it? Anyone will tell you to run far far away from it.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
Current bid is $10,700.
replyreply
Truck has 628k on it

I sold a truck around a month ago with 1.2mil miles and recently saw same truck on craiglist with 800k miles. I bet they just changed ECM or reprogrammed it. Do not trust this mileage.
Also when I start my other truck with 1.2 mil miles there is very low blowby from oil fill tube . It gets worse when engine warms up. Looks like aa lot of blowby on this truck from the video right after a start.
replyreply
(11-16-2017 )ktbtrucking Wrote:  Truck has 628k on it

I sold a truck around a month ago with 1.2mil miles and recently saw same truck on craiglist with 800k miles. I bet they just changed ECM or reprogrammed it. Do not trust this mileage.
Also when I start my other truck with 1.2 mil miles there is very low blowby from oil fill tube . It gets worse when engine warms up. Looks like aa lot of blowby on this truck from the video right after a start.

Never underestimate the power of an idiot to abuse and neglect. Rigdig checks out - was a Swift truck until 2013/14 and leased to a sucker with 4xx,000 on it. No surprise that it ended up repo'd 200k later and trashed. The turbo is out, with oil puke on the air side, there's oil in the coolant, and the coolant line is plugged on the back of the VGT. With as dirty as the oil is, I almost plan on a new head - I was more curious if someone would guess as to whether or not I was looking at a complete inframe.
replyreply
11-17-2017, (Subject: Need ideas on a 871 ) 
Up to about $10-15k is fine in my book for something that does not have a hole in the block + will crank, even if the engine is in dire need of an inframe. Of course, that is only if you are looking for something to inframe yourself the day you buy it + plan on dropping another $20k in parts on it before its ready for prime time again.

- Prostars are money-makers for sure. Your investment is never wasted with one if you know how to drive them right for high profits. As well, the CM871 is what I would consider the last of the 'good' engine the red engine maker has made out there if re-built the way its recommended on this site. Anything newer is a lot more problematic and prone to much higher operating costs long term.

As well,. you are going to want to have the ECM re-programmed/looked at by Mr. Hag, Unilevers, or Gearhead. god only knows what kind of programming it has in it as is with that Delta-P disconnected. Could be anything in there.
==

$15k for a truck with CM871 .. willing to do most of the work yourself including the inframe ... $20k in parts (includes inframe, turbo, etc.etc. whatever it needs to get it right) .. = $35k for a money maker ready for dry/reefer freight. A no brainer for a decent truck. Only trouble it the money spent up front + the several weeks of downtime before it is put into service.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Waterloo , dhirocz , tony97905 , Nostalgic , RTRUCKING48 , victory26 , BobsYourUncle , stevesparts , Signature620 , t700 , Volvo8873 , serv , rrod
02-21-2018, (Subject: Need ideas on a 871 ) 
Well, I've been bouncing around, looking at a lot of risk with high price tags. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a low mileage local find that is spec'd how I want and in pretty good overall condition, but trying to work up an estimate before I have my new toy towed home. 08 CM871, didn't dig into it real deep, but low miles, high hours - parts in the sleeper show it at least has a spun main bearing. Did not take tools to see if it would turn over, but no holes in block, so I'm looking at it as at least I have a core.

After pricing out a short block and long block, I'm open to suggestions on what approach to take working up my budget.

1 - As long as there are no new surprises, have block line bored, crank turned, and rebuild.

2- Hunt for a running engine to refresh, swap out, and pitch the core on ebay.

3- Buy a new short block from Cummins, and hope that I get one that doesn't need the liners pulled and block cut.

Of course, I'm also tempted to just put a CM870 in it.
replyreply
05-28-2018, (Subject: Need ideas on a 871 ) 
3 months slips by way too fast. Bought the pile of junk and after tinkering with getting Insite set up and poking around with the Inline, the weather broke and I finally got a chance to tear into the majors. Dropped the driveshafts and when I drained the transmission, got 2-3 pints of coolant as a nice surprise. Ran the front driveshafts and transmission out to Cresson Ridge to go over. Unexpected expense, but at least I have a freshly rebuilt 13 speed and nearly new SPL driveline ready to go in.

Started teardown of the engine to see exactly where I'm at, and I'm really not much further than I was at first guess. #4 Rod bearing is welded to the crank, and the main in front of it is spun with the thrust bearings in pretty bad shape.

There's some "denting" on the cams, and one lobe (and roller) of injector cam has some light "Galling Surface Distress: Conditional Reuse". Opinion on if I should replace the a roller and run with it, or just replace both cams and all rollers? My goal is 600k trouble free miles out of the truck when I put it together, and aside from normal maint. don't want to be tearing anything back apart.

I'm still VERY tempted to just get a 12.7 Detroit and do the swap.

Anyhoo, I couldn't find a diagram on Quickserve - Are the 2 sensors to the rear of the doser fuel manifold block the oil pressure and oil temp?

I haven't pulled any actuators to inspect, but frankly, I think if I find one more thing this engine is going to need, I'm scrapping the idea of keeping the ISX.
replyreply
05-28-2018, (Subject: Need ideas on a 871 ) 
Yes on the sensors being behind doser shutoff valve on driver side. I've just been watching rawze overhaul videos today again. Your motor can be a reliable motor long term if you take care of everything right while you have it apart. I believe cummins says that the crank cannot be turned because of the manufacturing process. I read that on quickserve. I'd just replace the cams if any doubt. Redoing it later would be a lot more work. They aren't cheap, but if everything else is ready to deliver you 600000 miles, it's good insurance.
My motor (cm871) just dropped a valve in cylinder 5 and I'm kicking around the idea of doing it myself or taking it to Haggai.
Just my opinion.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.