S.A.S. Signal j1939 shuts down a truck?
11-19-2017, (Subject: S.A.S. Signal j1939 shuts down a truck? ) 
S.A.S. Signal j1939 shuts down a truck?
Ok not the most privy when it comes to mechanical literature. But I am trying to learn as much as I can. I have a peterbilt 587 2012, with a Cummins ISX 2250 motor. My engine won’t turn over and reads a code of ABS: SAS signal j1939 as I’m hearing that has to do with my Econ. Unfortunately it’s a Sunday I’m on the side of the road between Joplin MO and Tulsa ok and most shops are not open today. I tried to take out my ecm fuse and abs fuse. It also happened to me yesterday i had to get towed to Joplin Mo. but as soon as he put me down I cranked my truck up just to see what would happen and it turned over. I thought since it was an abs code that maybe I could take the fuse out so the ecm would read. Stupidity yes on me because I got about 30 miles down the road before it cut back off on me. Only this time will not start again. I don’t have Cummins insight which will be my next investment but was wondering is there any direction I could be looking forward to checking for or to tell the repair shop. Or anybody know of a good shop in between Joplin, Mo to Tulsa Ok that will probably know. Also I did a delete on my truck so I’m afraid to take it to a peterbilt to get it checked out.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: S.A.S. Signal j1939 shuts down a truck?
Without some actual engine fault codes it will be difficult to find out what it likely is.

Another reason why these engines should never shutdown and refuse to run at all. Derates I can see,.. even some severe derates to protect engine ok,..but refusing to run at all over emissions and/or abs is ridiculous and completely unsafe!.

First, make sure you have coolant above the minimum level, next make sure you have oil pressure building up when cranking it. After that, its anyones guess if you can't find out what codes it is throwing.

BTW: custom tuning the ecm, even if it is kept legal can eliminate most of those ridiculous shutdowns for those who are curious.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: cspence478
Thanks. My coolant level is good. I’m not getting no oil pressure through my gauge. And with that i guess will have to just wait till tomorrow when I get it in the shop and see what codes are read
replyreply
(11-19-2017 )cspence478 Wrote:  Thanks. My coolant level is good. I’m not getting no oil pressure through my gauge. And with that i guess will have to just wait till tomorrow when I get it in the shop and see what codes are read

Normally, as you crank it you will get oil pressure buildup. If it refuses to build oil pressure that could be your problem, but it is anyones guess till you get a computer on it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
yes lesson learned. cummins insight will be my next investment asap. Im thinking it probably have something to do with my steering angle sensor. I did have a deer run into the side of my driver hood, and break my headlight cover, then after. I did an off road delivery to Montana where I got caught in the snow in his yard, when trying to get out, that was the first time I seen the tractor abs light come on on the dash. I was able to drive it to a truck stop and when I reranked it up the lights didn't shoe again. then I had another off road delivery, and thats where my Driver side leaf spring broke on me. I was able to get it to a shop in Missouri. was told I lucked up with be able to drive it. Again I'm realizing the non common sense I've been putting into my truck and trying to learn as much as I can. but the abs light kept coming on and off while the spring leaf and head light was broke. when I got both replace didn't see the light until after a few hours of leaving but this time it stop my truck and stoped me. I got it towed to Joplin but when he unhooked from me my truck cranked back up again. so I thought I could still run it. only got 30 miles down the road and know I'm here.

(11-19-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Without some actual engine fault codes it will be difficult to find out what it likely is.

Another reason why these engines should never shutdown and refuse to run at all. Derates I can see,.. even some severe derates to protect engine ok,..but refusing to run at all over emissions and/or abs is ridiculous and completely unsafe!.

First, make sure you have coolant above the minimum level, next make sure you have oil pressure building up when cranking it. After that, its anyones guess if you can't find out what codes it is throwing.

BTW: custom tuning the ecm, even if it is kept legal can eliminate most of those ridiculous shutdowns for those who are curious.
replyreply
(11-19-2017 )cspence478 Wrote:  yes lesson learned. cummins insight will be my next investment asap. Im thinking it probably have something to do with my steering angle sensor. I did have a deer run into the side of my driver hood, and break my headlight cover, then after. I did an off road delivery to Montana where I got caught in the snow in his yard, when trying to get out, that was the first time I seen the tractor abs light come on on the dash. I was able to drive it to a truck stop and when I reranked it up the lights didn't shoe again. then I had another off road delivery, and thats where my Driver side leaf spring broke on me. I was able to get it to a shop in Missouri. was told I lucked up with be able to drive it. Again I'm realizing the non common sense I've been putting into my truck and trying to learn as much as I can. but the abs light kept coming on and off while the spring leaf and head light was broke. when I got both replace didn't see the light until after a few hours of leaving but this time it stop my truck and stoped me. I got it towed to Joplin but when he unhooked from me my truck cranked back up again. so I thought I could still run it. only got 30 miles down the road and know I'm here.

(11-19-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Without some actual engine fault codes it will be difficult to find out what it likely is.

Have you checked to ensure it has the proper oil level, not out of fuel? or some other simple thing that might have gotten overlooked?

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kid Rock
You said that you broke a leaf spring on the drivers side.....got towed in.....then it started....check the ABS connection from the drivers' steer tire all the way to the firewall and see if you have wiring damage. Also check the wiring from the light assembly back to the wall for damage.

just an idea...

User's Signature: You want how much?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kid Rock , Rawze
Check the SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) wiring in the steering column. It could be pinched if you have a collapsible column. I've never heard of that sensor shutting down the engine though. All that sensor does is compare the angle of the steering wheel with the expected input from the abs sensors on the wheels. It has a tolerance of approx 10 degrees. My friend had his steering box replaced and kept getting SAS codes. Once I hooked up wabco abs software it was reading -360 degrees. All it took to fix that issue was unbolting the steering shaft from the gearbox and spinning the wheel one full revolution to get wabco to say it was at 0 degrees with the tires pointed straight ahead. That fixed his whole issue. Your issue is the SAS sensor on the steering column is not sending any info to the abs controller. So either the wiring has been pinched and broken or the sensor itself is not communicating with the abs system.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kid Rock , scottydogtruck , Hammerhead , gatow900 , BobsYourUncle , fargonaz , Rawze , Starlight , hhow55 , stevesparts , ktbtrucking , cspence478

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.