timing and metering actuators
11-25-2017, (Subject: timing and metering actuators ) 
timing and metering actuators
Hey group i will be removing my fuel timing actuators and metering actuators from the ifsm on my cm871 ....once i have them apart i will post some pics and what i found internally .......wear etc .....as for reinstallation does anyone have the torque specs for re-tightening these actuators with a new gasket thanks for any help....
replyreply
11-25-2017, (Subject: timing and metering actuators ) 
RE: timing and metering actuators
quickserve.cummins.com comes to mind

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
11-26-2017, (Subject: timing and metering actuators ) 
133 in/lbs, use silver grade anti-seize on the bolts as well...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hhow55
Hey hhow55 and Hammerhead thanks for the reply and the info on the torque specs as for the pics and my observations here are a sequence of photos with a slight explanation for the guys that don't know what is inside and how these work ...... but one thing i can say is great filtration = clean internals
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
No problem.
Yes, quality filtration will keep a lot of issues at bay.

Would like to see your pics, how many miles/hours do you have on them?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
11-27-2017, (Subject: timing and metering actuators ) 
Heres what the actuators look like after removing them from the ifsm first photo is the metering actuator(3 holes) in the center and the second is the timing actuator (2 holes) in the center

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
Heres a few photos of the actuator assembly disassembled and the internals both metering and timing...........so and as you can see as mentioned before great filtering = clean internals there is also a photo of the metering plate and from what i gather this is the only part that would wear out ......but as for the rest of the unit ....these solenoids are built on a military level somewhat

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
So these photos of the metering plate and what basically happens inside is this plate flutters at a very high frequency or rate allowing it to time and meter the fuel through ECM commands..... in my observation after separating these actuators the second actuator from the left side going to the right (front to back) .......this particular actuator was loose meaning the metering plate was out of adjustment causing my motor to have a intermittent lope during idle and robbing me fuel mileage if say perhaps this valve starts to separate it will actually allow the fuel to dump into the injectors and could probably lead to higher pressures in those cylinders related to the leaking actuator so what ive done is separate the metering plate to show what it looks like and what happens when they unscrew and what they should look like tightened its almost like cummins created it as a fail safe mechanism so that the cylinder doesn't lean out but rather instead it would run more rich.

replyreply
So after checking the internals in all the actuators i only found 1 loose metering plate so i tightened it ....and as for the inside of all these actuators they were immaculate i was impressed..... moving forward i put the actuators back together and did a ohm test to make sure that the metering plates were completely flush while looking in the fuel journals....... i got 0.5ohms across all the actuators. So if (1) was a bit out of adjustment the digital meter would show more resistance which would tell me that something is wrong so make note..... a fast way to check these is to do a ohm test and make sure that the numbers are the same ....if you have high resistance in any of these actuators there is definitely sludge, small debris, or maybe the metering screw as backed off a bit inside creating a situation....also i did use brake cleaner to clean the outside of these actuators and boy what a difference so cheers for now and lets keep those cummins running.....!!!!!!!

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , trucklogger2 , Brock , ktbtrucking , smorgan87 , juicefromaus

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.