Insite Help exhaust (SCR/DEF) service required
11-26-2017, (Subject: Insite Help exhaust (SCR/DEF) service required ) 
Insite Help exhaust (SCR/DEF) service required
2012 Kenworth T660 ISX15 CM2250.
I received this code this week "exhaust (SCR/DEF) service required".
I have Insite 7.6.2 installed on a dedicated laptop and my Inline 6 will be here on Tuesday.
What should I look for and what tests should I run to narrow down the cause?
Its also time to bite the bullet for a more permanent fix, so I'm calling Mr Haggs to schedule an appointment for next week or the week after.

Any suggestions appreciated!
replyreply
11-27-2017, (Subject: Insite Help exhaust (SCR/DEF) service required ) 
RE: Insite Help exhaust (SCR/DEF) service required
(11-26-2017 )Longshot Wrote:  2012 Kenworth T660 ISX15 CM2250.
I received this code this week "exhaust (SCR/DEF) service required".
I have Insite 7.6.2 installed on a dedicated laptop and my Inline 6 will be here on Tuesday.
What should I look for and what tests should I run to narrow down the cause?
Its also time to bite the bullet for a more permanent fix, so I'm calling Mr Haggs to schedule an appointment for next week or the week after.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Not much you can check without Inline. Check SCR for volcano buildup and DEF injector nozzle.
Create account on Cumminsquickserve to read how to and future testing.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
11-27-2017, (Subject: Insite Help exhaust (SCR/DEF) service required ) 
Inline will be in Tuesday and when it is in I need to check with Insite.
Any suggestions?
replyreply
11-28-2017, (Subject: Insite Help exhaust (SCR/DEF) service required ) 
Read the codes when u get the connector. In the mean time do what snail suggested. My guess is its full of crap and u either need to do a forced regen, take it to be cleaned or ya know take it off.
replyreply
I got all hooked up and I got back the following active error codes:
Fault Code: 3718
Aftertreatment Intake NOx - Out of Calibration

Fault Code: 3568
Aftertreatment Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Dosing Valve - Mechanical System Not Repsonding or Out of Adjustment

I assume the DEF Dosing Valve needs replacing as does the NOx sensor at the turbo.
The pump at my dealer is 800 and the NOx sensor is 600.
But not sure if it makes sense to just replace them or do a forced regen first.
Should I force regen with the DEF pump not functioning properly?

I was intending to take the truck to Mr Haggs
But I am in San Antonio - is there anyway to safely drive the truck to Atlanta with the DEF pump not functioning?
replyreply
This is shop talk by cummins:
This fault detects a mechanical malfunction of the DEF dosing valve, or a pin-to-pin short in the DEF dosing valve circuit.

Reference the appropriate OEM wiring diagram when troubleshooting circuits that utilize wiring supplied by the OEM.

For intermittent power supply and data link communication issues with aftertreatment components, it is highly recommended that the OEM Power Distribution Center fuses and relays be thoroughly checked for loose, missing, or intermittent connections.

Contamination of the DEF can be a possible cause for this fault code

Id be leaning towards the doser valve is the main issue. Now that its not working your nox level it out of wack. It talks about checking relays and fuses they should be on the fire wall. If you open you up an account on cummins quick serve you can put your engine infor and it has a great diag of those codes. but id be looking into code 3568 first...The quick serve account is free and gives you 5 engines to store if needed..
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Longshot , 1776trucking , rrod , JMBT , Waterloo
from what i have seen code 3568 is generally a failed doser. nox code is the sensor its self. cummins eds has you check for a few other codes if not present then replace sensor. if those are the only 2 codes you have i would replace both pieces.

could could try a after treatment pump override test. you need to remove the after treatment def injector to run the test. it will let you check spray pattern and measure the output. i have had many dosers check in spec but still need replaced.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Longshot , trucklogger2
11-29-2017, (Subject: Insite Help exhaust (SCR/DEF) service required ) 
Thanks Mr Hagg for taking the time to reply personally.
I do have a quickserve account and have looked up the codes.

Quick serve recommends the following procedure following a repair...
"To validate the repair, DEF dosing must be commanded so that the dosing valve is actuated. This can be done by performing the Aftertreatment Diesel Exhaust Fluid Doser Pump Override Test found under "ECM Diagnostic Tests" in INSITEā„¢ electronic service tool. "
this is performed with the valve off and in some type of container.
I am planning on taking the existing doser off and performing this test to see how the existing doser performs. if it is clogged up or doesn't work then I will check fuses and relays and if they seem ok then I will replace the dosing valve.

thoughts? Does this sound like an ok plan?

Thanks!
replyreply
11-29-2017, (Subject: Insite Help exhaust (SCR/DEF) service required ) 
thanks Feltup, didn't see your comment before my last post, sounds like I might need to replace the doser even if it tests ok. Will follow up tomorrow morning after I remove the doser with what I find.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.