Need some pro advise....
11-26-2017, (Subject: Need some pro advise.... ) 
RE: Need some pro advise....
(11-26-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  Did you torque the bolts with an extension? An extension, especially a long or smaller one, will lower the torque to the bolt.

{some humor here, not being psarcastic}...

One of the oldest arguments in mechaincs shops that spreads like a virus that has ever been originally thought up long ago by those who still thought the earth is flat, the moon is made of cheese, and that elvis is still alive.

A wifes tale -- an urban legend -- Internet trolls fodder to start arguments with -- nothing more!

Not even if he was using several feet of extension bar. Sorry, but it simply goes against the laws of psychics.

The only thing that happens even in worse case scenarios is that that the wrench swings further around to produce the same torque than before due to spring force loading. For energy to be somehow lost in the extension bars then they would become red hot from the absorbed energy. The energy has to go somewhere. <-- Hey I know --- It goes to the other end!.

--> Torque a bolt and mark its position 3 or 4 times. Go torque it again with the longest extensions you got for that size wrench. Be sure to hold the wrench squarely each time to the bolt head (changing the angle by more than a few degrees at long distances will change the torque however) . <- You will end up the same exact place every time you do this test. <- I used to make bets with people all the time over this in shops and win money over it. -- even when i proved them wrong time and time again,.. they would still argue it away because no one likes to be made a fool of or be proven wrong.

Last I checked, extension bars were not made of soft energy-absorbing rubber.

===

Sorry to be sounding so harsh with this answer, I am not trying to slam the original poster. It is an easy one to get wrong because there are so many 'flat-eathers, psysics don't exist' out there on this one ... I am sure he has been taught this by some other moron who learned it by some other moron and so fourth. -- At some point reality has to step in and bad information needs to stop. .. My rant is not towards any individual here ... Trying to prevent an all out argument on this ... I just can't stand urban legends that continue to spread like a virus on the Internet. especially on this forum whenever it can be helped. If someone still disagrees strongly, then I suggest they take the argument somewhere else if they want to piss reality and physics away because it does not exist for them. I am sure someone can find 1,000 mechanics web sites and forums with the same argument all over it. Please keep it away form this one, it is a dead horse that will always cost someone a $20 bill if I had been standing there.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , hhow55 , Hammerhead , dhirocz

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need some pro advise.... - Rawze - 11-26-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.