Need some pro advise....
11-27-2017, (Subject: Need some pro advise.... ) 
RE: Need some pro advise....
***continuation of thread derailment***
I have proven the extension myth as well several times. Even to our head mechanic in the companies shop, yet when I'm not around he still states it as fact.

I think the myth originated with the use of impact guns, particularly air guns.
With an impact gun, the extension appears to remove some torque because unlike a torque wrench with a constant torque pull on it, the torque is applied only while the hammer is striking the anvil on its rotation and the "degree of rotation flex" that robs the torque with an extension can be exceeded by the "duration of rotation" per hammer/anvil strike of the impact gun, because its intermittent instead of constant torque. That's why if you can't break a nut/bolt free with an extension on your impact, yet you can break the very same nut/bolt with ease if you remove the extension. This is particularly noticed on wheel nuts. My 3/4" gun struggles to break lug nuts free with an extension, yet rips them off with only the deep socket. It's simply the slop of an extra joint in the equation and the torsional deflection exceeding the hammer/anvil's duration.
***end of thread derailment***

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need some pro advise.... - Hammerhead - 11-27-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.