Need some pro advise....
12-06-2017, (Subject: Need some pro advise.... ) 
RE: Need some pro advise....
(12-06-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  Update: it has been 2750 miles since the last go around and everything is staying tight. I checked torque every 100 miles for awhile, then 500, then 1100, and there has been no backing off of the bolts off the 129 ft/lb torque. I still don't have a definite answer as to what went wrong, and that bugs me to no end.
Thought I would share this, (it is scary): I talked a buddy of my brother's about what happened. He has been a Cummins wrench for about 25 years, and has a very good reputation in California. He said when they change a dampner at the shop, they apply blue loctite from the git-go, not oil as Quickserve recommends or antiseize, and (here's the scary part), they put the bolts on with a 1/2" impact AN DON'T CHECK THE TORQUE!!! WTF!!
Anyhow, that takes away any fears I had of streching the threads, if my torque wrench was out of whack by a little.
Also, he said they always reuse the same bolts unless they are damaged, as they are not a one time use bolt.

I find it sad how there are so many so-called trained professionals who just don't care about the quality of their work. they spread bad practice and shortcut methods like a disease in the truck service industry. When someone speaks out to hold them accountable for their actions, all they get is grief and arguments in return.

It is sad because you pay top dollar for such debauchery, then have to resort to learning to become your own mechanic if you want anything to be performed correctly on your equipment so that you can stay reliable and profitable. It should not be this way. There is no excuse for it at all. Corporate greed and improperly paid mechanics who are not only undereducated, but also pushed to the point of not having time to care at all outside of "get the next truck in here" because they aren't getting paid to use a torque wrench,.. they are getting paid to get that truck out and the next one in by whatever means and shortcuts necessary to make their bosses happy at the direct expense of the truck owners equipment.

Its only cure it to stop giving them your hard earned money and tell them to keep that air-tool happy moron of an over-paid, under trained mechanic away from your truck.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , rrod

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need some pro advise.... - Rawze - 12-06-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.