Fly wheel housing gasket
11-28-2017, (Subject: Fly wheel housing gasket ) 
Fly wheel housing gasket
I have a oil leak it seems at the rear of motor on both sides.I think its the fly wheel housing gasket .Can this be changed with motor still in the tuck.It seems rear motor mounts are bolted to that housing.

User's Signature: when things are not going good ,I just want to go sit in a mud puddle and blow bubbles
replyreply
RE: Fly wheel housing gasket
Yes you will need to pull the transmission and remove oil pan. Support the engine remove motor mounts and starter. Remove clutch and flywheel. Then you are at the rear housing. Just remove the bolts and install new gasket. At this time I would do a clutch, and motor mounts. If you take it to a shop you are looking about $2,500 to $3,000 to do a complete job...With new clutch and motor mounts.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard , snailexpress , Midland , Roysbigtoys , Brock , JMBT
also remember cummins says to check housing run out to make sure its centered when reinstalling. as well as installing a new rear main seal. it is a chore but doable.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Brock
11-29-2017, (Subject: Fly wheel housing gasket ) 
Also consider having the housing machined as it will probably be fretted. Cummins advises against machining them but I think it's better than taking a chance of it leaking shortly after a reseal, as the fretting creates an uneven surface.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.