Oil Pressure Relief Valve/Regulator
12-07-2017, (Subject: Oil Pressure Relief Valve/Regulator ) 
Oil Pressure Relief Valve/Regulator
Hey group i have great question here .....??? so watching a video by cummins on youtube they claim there is a spring loaded oil pressure regulator that is in the block and it can be accessed by removing the oil pan .....??? i found photos of the actual regulator with 2 different cummins part#s 4357177 and 3918428 ..... has anyone ever replaced one of these only for the mere fact that knowone ever talks about this crucial piece and could be the solution to the low oil pressure issues everyone has with these motors.....???? Over and over from what i've seen is that people tear these motors down and theres barely if not any wear on anything ....so the motor is built well but have we exhausted every avenue on this particular issue with all this info available via internet....?????..... as for the video on youtube i will post the link soon cheers....!!!!

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201712/post_3205_1512620601_718a36d53a3d4303f101fb1513b3658b.jpg./uploads/201712/post_3205_1512620643_9106e00cdf971684c301689f6331565a.jpg
replyreply
RE: Oil Pressure Relief Valve/Regulator
The picture on the right is of the updated oil bypass valve. It is located in the oil filter head. There is a 17mm allen plug that you remove and it is right behind that. If you have an early 2250, there was a campaign where they would send you the updated version free. Only takes about 5 minutes to install.
I haven’t seen or heard about the other one you mentioned. Sorry I can’t help with that.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 3_milly871 , Signature620 , TruckerR
Hey JMBT thanks for the insite ....this is interesting.....
replyreply
Don't know what engine model your referring to but the number one cause of oil pressure loss in the ISX is clogging oil filters due to excess soot. Solve the excess soot problems and you solve the oil pressure issues. Things like changing the oil more often if the oil is getting too sooty, doing egr tune-ups and ensuring the engine is running its best.

Also...

On the ISX, the oil pressure regulator is part of the oil pump unit itself...

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 3_milly871
I pulled the cotterpin and took the plunger and spring out. Then I placed 7 dimes in the tube being careful to ensure they were in the recess located at the base on the tube. Then reassembled it with a new cotter pin.

Not sure the procedure is the same on engines newer than my cm871.
replyreply
Hey Rawze thanks for the reply and that about sums it up for me and that pressure relief spring so question with the dimes added did you get the results your looking for...?? only because the more i study this motor....... its the little things that go the long way obviously with good maintenance......but the engineers that design this particular motor knew what they were doing but yea im running a cm871 in my t660...... i guess i shouldve put that out there huh .....anyway thanks Nilao for your reply
replyreply
(12-07-2017 )3_milly871 Wrote:  Hey Rawze thanks for the reply and that about sums it up for me and that pressure relief spring so question with the dimes added did you get the results your looking for...?? only because the more i study this motor....... its the little things that go the long way obviously with good maintenance......but the engineers that design this particular motor knew what they were doing but yea im running a cm871 in my t660...... i guess i shouldve put that out there huh .....anyway thanks Nilao for your reply

I think Mr. Hag uses 6 dimes in the CM2250 and CM2350's because they only have one cam, but in the CM871, most guys use about 10 dimes. The main goal is not to raise pressure so much as to just get get better oil flow to the overhead cams. It was measured in the past at only being 9 psi by the time it gets top those cams from the factory.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(12-07-2017 )3_milly871 Wrote:  Hey Rawze thanks for the reply and that about sums it up for me and that pressure relief spring so question with the dimes added did you get the results your looking for...?? only because the more i study this motor....... its the little things that go the long way obviously with good maintenance......but the engineers that design this particular motor knew what they were doing but yea im running a cm871 in my t660...... i guess i shouldve put that out there huh .....anyway thanks Nilao for your reply

I did the 8 dime shim more than a year ago.
My only regret, is I wish I would have quit listening to my local Cummins & KW dealers a long damn time ago...I asked about doing this in the first month I owned this damn truck in 2009.
My oil pressure runs at about 42psi at 220* oil at 1500rpm, with Rotella 15W40 and one gallon of Sta-Lube 85W90.
The only "effect" I've noticed is that like in Rawze's inframe videos, my cams & followers have taken on a nice golden hue to them. The lobes, rollers, and everything looks great.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(12-07-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  ...

The only "effect" I've noticed is that like in Rawze's inframe videos, my cams & followers have taken on an ice golden hue to them.

Yes, you are correct. The EP additives in the 10% gear lube mix that eventually penetrates the metals over time and cause them to change color. It is that coating that creates the extreme pressure barrier and extends the life of the components.

I ahve seen some protest about people that have watched my videos contend that gear oils will not mix with engine oils. They go on to quote some obscure recommendations from Chevron oil compatibility charts in an out of context way so they can spew a skewed trolling opinion. Oil incompatibility between engine oils and gear lubes is actually only a partial true and it depends on the additives heavily. Such debate is nothing more than cannon fodder for Internet trolls with nothing better to do. It si true that some gear lubes are very acidic and not compatible with engine oils. It results in clay-like deposits and other things bad over time. The gear oils I have been using myself like the super-tech and the stay-lube do not have this problem though. If that were the case, I would have seen the results and deposits by now (in the now million + miles of operating like this),.. so all I can say is .. stop listening to trolls,.. make your own decisions if something is right for you or not based on real information instead of a trolls "I know more than you" opinion who does not even own a truck, nor has driven and maintained one for a million plus miles.

- Is doing such things like modifying their oil pump or using gear lube right for everyone>-- I leave that for each person to decide for themselves. i can only say what has worked for me based on my own experiences,.. so take it all with a grain of salt. Here is the latest information on my own engine...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid19988

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.