ISX CM 570 BLACK SMOKE
12-10-2017, (Subject: ISX CM 570 BLACK SMOKE ) 
ISX CM 570 BLACK SMOKE
Hi All, i have a CM 570 ISX, driver has been complaining of high consumption and black smoke. I did an overhead set to spec and found some injectors were not set right. Before the overhead set i did a leak test on both front and rear banks and they passed. After the overhead set revved engine to maximum and the smoke cuts out and exhaust is almost clear but when he truck drives still get a bit of black smoke. Though not as much as before. What else could i check. Thanks
replyreply
12-10-2017, (Subject: ISX CM 570 BLACK SMOKE ) 
RE: ISX CM 570 BLACK SMOKE
Have you checked the linkage to the waste gate, making sure it is properly secured.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , madcash2 , JMBT
12-11-2017, (Subject: ISX CM 570 BLACK SMOKE ) 
(12-10-2017 )hhow55 Wrote:  Have you checked the linkage to the waste gate, making sure it gis properly secured.
will check thanks
replyreply
12-11-2017, (Subject: ISX CM 570 BLACK SMOKE ) 
With your experience, you shouldn't have any problem to check for intake and exhaust leaks.
If that checks good , pool both sides off the turbo cartridge and inspect turbine and compressor wheel for integrity. After all you didn't mention what's the boost under full load .
What's the EGT's now and before. That's essential information to diagnose the problem.
I gues your turbo is HX-55 !? They are almost indestructible as long as there's no CAC and exhaust leaks . Driving with such will rise the EGT's extremely high and will burn/melt the outermost edges off turbine in short time , leading to getting worse by day. I bett , this didn't happen overnight.
Driving by boost and EGT is must !!! Teach your driver . If truck doesn't have boost and pyro, install them ASAP .
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , Rawze , ktbtrucking
12-13-2017, (Subject: ISX CM 570 BLACK SMOKE ) 
They are almost indestructible

do not know how to quote but thank you good to know
i have cm570 with 2.2mil miles and it runs good although psi max is around 18
have pyro on exhaust manifold outside and barely can hit 300C (it is celcius because i have this one)
I has black smoke when going up hill and changing gears ( it smokes when i hit acc after change gear)
original vibration damper and ecm, rx air compressor
so i thought maybe my turbo is bad because of low boost will try to test for leaks
replyreply
12-13-2017, (Subject: ISX CM 570 BLACK SMOKE ) 
Smoke, Black - Excessive

Printable Version
Symptom Tree - t116
Cause Correction
Interview the operator to verify the complaint

Refer to Driveability-General Information, Driveability/Low Power Customer Complaint Form, and the Driveability Checklist at the end of Section TS. Follow the instructions on the forms before continuing with this tree.

OK
Confirm if engine runs on after key-off by operating engine at high idle for one minute then shutting off engine

Refer to the Engine Will Not Shut Off symptom tree.

OK
Engine is misfiring

Refer to the Engine Runs Rough or Misfires troubleshooting symptom tree in Section TS.

OK
Electronic fault codes active or high counts of inactive fault codes

Read the fault codes with an electronic service tool. Refer to Section TF for fault code troubleshooting..

OK
Engine is cold

Allow the engine to warm to operating temperature. If the engine will not reach operating temperature, refer to the Coolant Temperature Below Normal troubleshooting symptom tree in Section TS in the Service Manual, Signature™, ISX and QSX15 Engines, Bulletin 3666239.

OK
Turbocharger is not correct

Check the turbocharger part number and compare it to the Control Parts List (CPL), Bulletin 4021328. Replace the turbocharger, if necessary. Refer to Procedure 010-033 in Section 10 in the Service Manual, Signature™, ISX and QSX15 Engines, Bulletin 3666239.

OK
Intake manifold pressure (boost) sensor or circuit is malfunctioning

Check the boost sensor and circuit. Refer to Procedure 019-159 in Section 19.

OK
Intake air temperature sensor is malfunctioning

Check the intake air temperature sensor. Refer to Procedure 019-159 in Section 19.

OK
Fuel grade is not correct for the application or the fuel quality is poor

Operate the engine from a tank of known high quality fuel. Refer to Procedure 018-002 in Section V in the Operation and Maintenance Manual, Signature™ and ISX, Bulletin 3666251.

OK
Engine control module (ECM) calibration is malfunctioning

Verify that the ECM calibration is correct. Check the calibration revision history for applicable fixes to the calibration stored in the ECM. Refer to the calibration history spreadsheet on Quickserve™ Online. Click here to see ecm_calibration_rev_history.xls on Quickserve™ Online Internet Website or the INCAL™ calibration CD. Compare the calibration stored in the ECM with the engine rating and the Control Parts List (CPL), Bulletin 4021328. If necessary, calibrate the ECM. Refer to Procedure 019-032 .

OK
Air intake or exhaust leaks

Inspect the air intake and exhaust systems for air leaks. Refer to Procedure 010-024 in Section 10 in the Service Manual, Signature™, ISX and QSX15 Engines, Bulletin 3666239.

OK
Air intake system restriction is above specification

Replace the air filter and inlet piping as necessary. Refer to Procedure 010-031 in Section 10 in the Service Manual, Signature™, ISX, and QSX15 Engines, Bulletin 3666239.

OK
Exhaust system restriction is not within specification

Check the exhaust system for restrictions. Refer to Procedure 011-009 in Section 11 in the Service Manual, Signature™, ISX, and QSX15 Engines, Bulletin 3666239.

OK
Charge air cooler is restricted or leaking

Inspect the charge air cooler for air restrictions or leaks. Refer to Procedure 010-027 in the Service Manual, Signature™, ISX, and QSX15 Engines, Bulletin 3666239.

OK
Turbocharger wastegate is malfunctioning, if equipped

Check the wastegate for correct operation. Refer to Procedure 010-050 in Section 10 in the Service Manual, Signature™, ISX, and QSX15 Engines, Bulletin 3666239.

OK
Valve lash adjustments are not correct

Measure and adjust the valve lash setting. Refer to Procedure 003-004 in the Service Manual, Signature™, ISX, and QSX15 Engines, Bulletin 3666239.

OK
Fueling rail actuator or timing rail actuator is malfunctioning

Refer to Procedure 019-110 and Procedure 019-111 in Section 19.

OK
Injector is malfunctioning

Perform the automated cylinder performance test. Replace injectors as necessary. Refer to Procedure 006-026 in Section 6 in the Service Manual, Signature™, ISX, and QSX15 Engines, Bulletin 3666239.

OK
Injector o-rings are damaged or missing

Remove and check the injectors. Replace the injector o-rings. Refer to Procedure 006-026 in Section 6 in the Service Manual, Signature™, ISX, and QSX15 Engines, Bulletin 3666239.

OK
Crankcase ventilation system is plugged

Check and clean the crankcase breather and vent tube. Refer to Procedure 003-001 in Section 3 in the Service Manual, Signature™, ISX, and QSX15 Engines, Bulletin 3666239.

OK
Turbocharger oil seal is leaking

Check the turbocharger compressor and turbine seals. Refer to Procedure 003-001 or Procedure 003-002 in Section 10 in the Service Manual, Signature™, ISX, and QSX15 Engines, Bulletin 3666239.

OK
Turbocharger wheel clearance is out of specification

Check the radial bearing and axial clearances. Inspect the turbocharger. Repair or replace the turbocharger, if necessary. Refer to Procedure 010-033 in Section 10 in the Service Manual, Signature™, ISX, and QSX15 Engines, Bulletin 3666239.

OK
Internal engine damage

Analyze the oil and inspect the filters to locate an area of probable damage. Refer to Procedure 007-083 in Section 7 in the Service Manual, Signature™, ISX, and QSX15 Engines, Bulletin 3666239.

Last Modified: 22-Jun-2017
Maybe This helps.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.