Paccar questions/reviews
12-24-2017, (Subject: Paccar questions/reviews ) 
Paccar questions/reviews
So the owners of the company I work for are looking at buying peterbilts with paccar mx13s in them I was always told and thought they were junk. I read cummins helped with this engine or just the after treatment? Who tunes them? Are they going to be a nightmare for me? They are used and around 400,xxx miles so warranty will be off soon I think.
replyreply
12-24-2017, (Subject: Paccar questions/reviews ) 
RE: Paccar questions/reviews
Plenty of post on here regarding these motors, 400,000 seems to be their lifespan.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hetdiesel
12-25-2017, (Subject: Paccar questions/reviews ) 
I didn't some searching haven't found a lot of information on them
replyreply
12-25-2017, (Subject: Paccar questions/reviews ) 
   My t660 epa10 Paccar mx13 has 580k on it. Close friend has an epa10 mx13 in a t700 with 750k on it. He worked through some emissions issues a couple hundred thousand miles ago and says it has run strong since. Mine runs well besides some after treatment system glitches we are experiencing lately. Both trucks are 2012's. I'm on the fence at this point on whether to throw money at my emissions system or just be done with the emissions system. The engine seems like an otherwise magnificent power plant. My dad always said, if something brings you misery, get rid of it. I guess I could get rid of either the truck or the emissions but I really like the truck. it drives like a car. Pictured above is my 2012 t660 and my 2001 classic xl. The classic was an old Werner reject that I chopped the condo sleeper off of. The classic has a ddec 4 500hp series 60 and is the most reliable of the four trucks I run.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hetdiesel , laynepaving
12-26-2017, (Subject: Paccar questions/reviews ) 
(12-24-2017 )Hetdiesel Wrote:  So the owners of the company I work for are looking at buying peterbilts with paccar mx13s in them I was always told and thought they were junk. I read cummins helped with this engine or just the after treatment? Who tunes them? Are they going to be a nightmare for me? They are used and around 400,xxx miles so warranty will be off soon I think.

Buying a group of fleet maintained emissions compliant trucks is pretty much a nightmare guarantee, regardless of what color the engine is. They likely had the oil changed 2-3 times per year and were probably slow idled 2000+ hours per year. But who knows, perhaps the trucks were simply making their previous owners too much money and they felt morally obligated to spread the wealth. All things are possible.

That being said, I would strongly recommend you reconsider working for a carrier that ran fleet abused equipment. Unless said carrier had an outstanding down time package or a fairly high weekly guarantee.

Cummins is the supplier for the after treatment system so naturally it will be the least reliable and most costly system on the entire truck. Most of your many upcoming problems will be between the turbo and the tailpipe. Rebranded Cummins are used in the smaller MX series engines but the 13 is made by DAF, a European engine maker, which Paccar purchased several years ago.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , fargonaz , Chamberpains , laynepaving
12-31-2017, (Subject: Paccar questions/reviews ) 
(12-26-2017 )Texasdude74 Wrote:  
(12-24-2017 )Hetdiesel Wrote:  So the owners of the company I work for are looking at buying peterbilts with paccar mx13s in them I was always told and thought they were junk. I read cummins helped with this engine or just the after treatment? Who tunes them? Are they going to be a nightmare for me? They are used and around 400,xxx miles so warranty will be off soon I think.

Buying a group of fleet maintained emissions compliant trucks is pretty much a nightmare guarantee, regardless of what color the engine is. They likely had the oil changed 2-3 times per year and were probably slow idled 2000+ hours per year. But who knows, perhaps the trucks were simply making their previous owners too much money and they felt morally obligated to spread the wealth. All things are possible.

That being said, I would strongly recommend you reconsider working for a carrier that ran fleet abused equipment. Unless said carrier had an outstanding down time package or a fairly high weekly guarantee.

Cummins is the supplier for the after treatment system so naturally it will be the least reliable and most costly system on the entire truck. Most of your many upcoming problems will be between the turbo and the tailpipe. Rebranded Cummins are used in the smaller MX series engines but the 13 is made by DAF, a European engine maker, which Paccar purchased several years ago.

These are dump trucks we just got they cannot idle more than 5 minutes for they have a no idle shutdown. They still have a year left of warranty on them and have the service records on them from peterbilt I'm not going to just quit working for the company just because they made a decision I don't agree with. I would love for them to stick with cummins but buying a brand new peterbilt dump truck with a isx and 13/18 speed transmission a good dump body is 200k. If you divide out a brand new truck pmt vs what they are making in today's market it's not worth it. Maybe in the future we will be trading up to buy new trucks or new lease and get to that point but at this time we have to go with what works used trucks.

I'm told 65% of kw and peterbilt are being sold with the paccar engine so there not going away as much as I'd like cat to come back I'm not thinking it's going to happen and by the looks of it paccar(peterbilt and kenworth) are pushing there own brand.

So in the next years time I need to learn paccar since I don't work for a dealership this will be a little more difficult for me to do so I'm trying to get as much knowledge of these engines as I can a lot of it will be on hand but places like this forum do help.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard , laynepaving
04-10-2019, (Subject: Paccar questions/reviews ) 
I been reading this older post.
“Cummins are used in the smaller MX series engines but the 13 is made by DAF, a European engine maker, which Paccar purchased several years ago.” Also Volvo engines have there gear train in the rear. Is this what paccar engines have I’ve read that cams have to come out the rear of block like Volvo engine... this paccar sounds like a Volvo engine with Cummins after treatment. Are injector cups a issue on paccar?
replyreply
04-29-2019, (Subject: Paccar questions/reviews ) 
My experience with MX13s is hit or miss.

We have sold a few that are still running fine to this day
We have a couple Uni worked his magic on and are turned up quite a bit and holding up well
We have ALOT of them come through our shop with silly issues that will leave you sit.
Very few independent shops have DAVIE4, and is close to a must for working on these.
Very few dealers even understand these engines.
Every sensor costs $600 it seems.

The newest ones are having fuel dozer issues among other things. Did about 3 the last month under warranty. Same trucks have stopped in every once and awhile due to failed regens. no codes logged besides parked regen failed due to temp and in DPF derate. Force a regen and they have no issues and off they go.

I believe the core engine is good. Its everything attached that is questionable.

Early ones had belt tentioner issues like crazy too. Haven't seen any in newer ones.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , laynepaving

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.