First Truck .. Engine Help
12-28-2017, (Subject: First Truck .. Engine Help ) 
First Truck .. Engine Help
I've possibly read every single thread there is on this site about different trucks and have come to the conclusion that all newer model engines are plagued with ECU/EGR problems. But we must get a newer model truck. We've read the Owner Operator Manual, the EGR/DPF Article and seen most if not all the videos on the CM 871s, some CM 2250 & 2350. A little back story; I plan to team drive with my wife on a dedicated route, mainly southeast (Tennessee to Florida) pulling a dry van, mostly under 80k lbs. From what I deduced from my research, the most reliable trucks/engines would be Cascadia's DD13 (have heard a mix of horror stories, and people that "just got lucky" on DD15s) and Volvo's D13. Automatic is preferred (a happy wife a happy life). On the Cummins side, i have read and seen most videos put out by Rawze and i know that with a knowledgeable mechanic, these Cummins can be made into work horses.

I know to stay away from manufacturers 2012 and under models, as they are more common with EGR problems. Volvo pros; seem to be more reliable, very comfortable (might help with team driving), Ishift leagues ahead of DT12. Cons, about the only ones I can find are the known injector cups which to my knowledge have been fixed. And, more expensive parts and greater down-time. Cascadia pros; larger availability of service locations, cheaper parts, and some success stories where the truck has had no major breakdowns. Cons; Rougher ride (comfort), and the horror stories, that can really scare a young starting owner operator like myself. Cummins pros; with good maintenance and preventive care can turn out to be very reliable. A variety of different comfort levels with Peterbilt, KW ect. Cons; the known egr plague, fuel pump issue that can destroy the engine, and the horror stories.

My family has been in the business for over 10 years and we have established dedicated clients. I know the ins and outs of the trucking industry as I currently have experience with dispatch, loads and driving. I've ran the numbers and I can afford about a 60k truck. Any real world tips, recommendations, anybody that has had these engines and can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. I've seen on these forums, that the members are a very tight knit community, and am happy to finally be a part of it. Thanks in Advanced, Safe Driving out there!
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
First Truck .. Engine Help - Murphy - 12-28-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.