Fault code 2754 - CM2250
09-05-2020, (Subject: Fault code 2754 - CM2250 ) 
RE: Fault code 2754 - CM2250

(09-05-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(09-04-2020 )PinneyKW Wrote:  Well I pulled (eventually) the factory map sensor out and it was 95% blocked. I’d attach a pic for you all to make fun of me but hey at least I’m trying to learn the ways of the wrench turning truck driver! I picked up the back pressure sensor but didn’t have the 27mm socket with me so I’ll get it in the morning. Wish me luck!

Be sure to spray a bit of brake cleaner in the sensor hole while the sensor is off of it and crank the truck, let it fire up for a moment to ensure it blows the brake cleaner back up out of the hole ... that circuit for the exhaust pressure sensor likes to get blocked up with carbon buildup.

Appreciate all the info. Changed both which 100% needed to be done but not much changed with it. Turbo still spooling up and fuel mileage stunk again today. Even though the actuator is new could the turbo itself be bad? I haven’t checked for play yet. Checked paperwork, egr cooler was inspected and cleaned about 100k ago and rechecked two weeks ago. Y’all have scared me about oil consumption so it’s getting a compression check and cut out injector test done Tuesday morning. My buddy (head mechanic at ups) ran the diagnostics while we were under a load. Ash level 0, soot was 22g and within an hour it was at 97g and started to regen again. It was 12k miles before I put any oil in it so he’s strongly thinking I have 1 or 2 injectors over fueling. It does occasionally have somewhat of a hard start, then next time it start soon as I hit the key.

Good, bad or ugly I’ll let ya guys know what the good ol diagnostics say! Thanks again!

replyreply
09-05-2020, (Subject: Fault code 2754 - CM2250 ) 
(09-05-2020 )PinneyKW Wrote:  
(09-05-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(09-04-2020 )PinneyKW Wrote:  Well I pulled (eventually) the factory map sensor out and it was 95% blocked. I’d attach a pic for you all to make fun of me but hey at least I’m trying to learn the ways of the wrench turning truck driver! I picked up the back pressure sensor but didn’t have the 27mm socket with me so I’ll get it in the morning. Wish me luck!

Be sure to spray a bit of brake cleaner in the sensor hole while the sensor is off of it and crank the truck, let it fire up for a moment to ensure it blows the brake cleaner back up out of the hole ... that circuit for the exhaust pressure sensor likes to get blocked up with carbon buildup.

Appreciate all the info. Changed both which 100% needed to be done but not much changed with it. Turbo still spooling up and fuel mileage stunk again today. Even though the actuator is new could the turbo itself be bad? I haven’t checked for play yet. Checked paperwork, egr cooler was inspected and cleaned about 100k ago and rechecked two weeks ago. Y’all have scared me about oil consumption so it’s getting a compression check and cut out injector test done Tuesday morning. My buddy (head mechanic at ups) ran the diagnostics while we were under a load. Ash level 0, soot was 22g and within an hour it was at 97g and started to regen again. It was 12k miles before I put any oil in it so he’s strongly thinking I have 1 or 2 injectors over fueling. It does occasionally have somewhat of a hard start, then next time it start soon as I hit the key.

Good, bad or ugly I’ll let ya guys know what the good ol diagnostics say! Thanks again!

guarantee you the rest of the truck was just as neglected.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
09-06-2020, (Subject: Fault code 2754 - CM2250 ) 
I am thinking check the crankcase breather filter too? Had a buddy with one plugged recently on a acert cat. It was burning plenty of oil and his mechanic was ready to install new turbos. I believe he was getting oil in his exhaust. Luckily someone thought abou the breather filter and that thing was plugged up making pressure on oil system and seals. Replace that and no more oil burning for him. Might not be all it needs but it’s worth looking at.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , PinneyKW
09-08-2020, (Subject: Fault code 2754 - CM2250 ) 
That picture... it's not a sensor, it's a carbon stick!

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , PinneyKW
09-08-2020, (Subject: Fault code 2754 - CM2250 ) 
(09-08-2020 )JimT Wrote:  That picture... it's not a sensor, it's a carbon stick!

if the sensor is that bad, so are the piston rings.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PinneyKW
09-15-2020, (Subject: Fault code 2754 - CM2250 ) 
(09-08-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(09-08-2020 )JimT Wrote:  That picture... it's not a sensor, it's a carbon stick!

if the sensor is that bad, so are the piston rings.

So I took it in for more diagnostics. They updated ECM, ran test on injectors, etc. They did recommend running Valvoline Blue Extreme oil per Cummins recommendation as it’s a high detergent oil and supposedly this motor has a sleeve design that is notorious for buildup. Said not to run it everytime but every couple of oil changes. Said that would give a 50/50 shot at fixing oil consumption. They inquired with Cummins and based upon my oil consumption they don’t think that is the issue. Cummins had them do a recorded regen and is being evaluated by Cummins engineers. Of course with Covid they running behind, been a week and no answer yet. The saga continues.......I’m prepared to do whatever. I told them if it needs an inframe or what ever, nothing more frustrating than check engine lights every few days.
replyreply
Relying on cummins to get you out of this cycle is not the right move my friend. You yourself need to learn how and what to do to keep these engines running with minimal problems. The dealer network has an entirely different philosophy. Watch, the next thing they will tell you is you need a turbo....... wanna bet?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(09-15-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  Relying on cummins to get you out of this cycle is not the right move my friend. You yourself need to learn how and what to do to keep these engines running with minimal problems. The dealer network has an entirely different philosophy. Watch, the next thing they will tell you is you need a turbo....... wanna bet?

Possibly but they’d be paying for it. It’s already been replaced along with every sensor, both boxes, egr valve, etc. It’s all under their warranty as much was done before I purchased it. Pretty much the only thing after treatment related that hasn’t been replaced is the def tank itself, lol. It didn’t cost me anything to let the Cummins engineers (not the dealer) evaluate it and I figure they designed it so maybe they’d see something nobody else has.
replyreply
09-16-2020, (Subject: Fault code 2754 - CM2250 ) 
How much did it cost you in downtime? Were you making big money while you stop moving freight to drive it to and from appointment times at the shop and they seemingly blindly throw parts at it? How does your company bill them for the time they are working on it?.... are you starting to see the down side and not so "lol" part of having blind trust in these stupid OEM shops and the "warranty" that are murdering your company all with a Cheshire smile and false promise that they'll pay for it? I can't be certain for your company but mine can't make a dime while shitte repair facilities have the work horse of my company locked shop bays "for free"....

Learn how to diagnose and repair this thing yourself from here on out and make them pay for what you properly diagnose is actually wrong with it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.