Egr cooler
12-31-2017, (Subject: Egr cooler ) 
Egr cooler
Since the failure rate on the EGR coolers is so high as Rawze points out in his videos, why wouldn't Cummins mount them a little bit separate from the engine block, free hanging or something, so as to avoid the expansion and shifting that causes them to crack and fail. Would something like that even be possible or am I overthinking it? What do you guys think?

User's Signature: If it ain't broke, don't mean it won't be at some point.
replyreply
01-01-2018, (Subject: Egr cooler ) 
RE: Egr cooler
(12-31-2017 )iceman Wrote:  Since the failure rate on the EGR coolers is so high as Rawze points out in his videos, why wouldn't Cummins mount them a little bit separate from the engine block, free hanging or something, so as to avoid the expansion and shifting that causes them to crack and fail. Would something like that even be possible or am I overthinking it? What do you guys think?

Simple. Then they wouldn't sell as many. I've put he bypass tube from a 2250 which gives no issues at all. But won't pass a visual inspection
replyreply
 Thanks given by: iceman
(01-01-2018 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  
(12-31-2017 )iceman Wrote:  Since the failure rate on the EGR coolers is so high as Rawze points out in his videos, why wouldn't Cummins mount them a little bit separate from the engine block, free hanging or something, so as to avoid the expansion and shifting that causes them to crack and fail. Would something like that even be possible or am I overthinking it? What do you guys think?

Simple. Then they wouldn't sell as many. I've put he bypass tube from a 2250 which gives no issues at all. But won't pass a visual inspection

Bingo, look at Cummins market share, and then look at there profits and stock price. There strategy is doing well for them.
replyreply
Install new EGR cooler. See ISX CM871 Service Manual, Bulletin 3666239. Refer to Procedure 011-019 in Section 11.
Use four plain washers, Part Number 4063960, in place of top EGR cooler clamping plate.
Use four plain washers, Part Number 3278499, in place of bottom EGR cooler clamping plate.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

Your over-thinking it!!!!

Mine has been on my engine for more than 990,000 miles (since 2011 when they updated it to the newer style). Never had an issue. these days if one goes out, it is because something caused it.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid20682

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: iceman

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.