2nd air gauge not working
04-12-2016, (Subject: 2nd air gauge not working ) 
Air compressor/ air dryer issues
I have an 08 prostar with a cummins isx and I been having issues with my air dryer the problems are my primary and secondary air gauges rises to 150 psi then the emergency blow off valve sets off. I replaced the governor and still no luck so recently I replace the entire air dry and it seem to work for a week or so then ride back to the same issue again I'm starting to think it is my air compressor but before I spend that kind of money I want another opinions.
replyreply
RE: 2nd air gauge not working
(04-12-2016 )allan82782 Wrote:  I have an 08 prostar with a cummins isx and I been having issues with my air dryer the problems are my primary and secondary air gauges rises to 150 psi then the emergency blow off valve sets off. I replaced the governor and still no luck so recently I replace the entire air dry and it seem to work for a week or so then ride back to the same issue again I'm starting to think it is my air compressor but before I spend that kind of money I want another opinions.

Replacing air dryer and governor is a good ting you did . The problem in your case is most likely in the compressor head . More precisely the unloader piston moving the plate back and forth. There's O-ring on it . What's happening is compressor gets air from intake manifold . Unfortunately there's not only clean fresh air but also recirculating EXHAUST gases containing a lot of black stuff that kills engines and compressors ....and our pockets . I hope you got the picture. It's up to you to replace the whole compressor or only head or repair the poor thing yourself.
replyreply
A trick someone told me was blow some WD40 into compressor inlet to keep the unloader from sticking and clear soot from reed valve. Havent had to try it yet and shouldnt be a problem in the future since the soot monster was slain.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(04-12-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 )allan82782 Wrote:  I have an 08 prostar with a cummins isx and I been having issues with my air dryer the problems are my primary and secondary air gauges rises to 150 psi then the emergency blow off valve sets off. I replaced the governor and still no luck so recently I replace the entire air dry and it seem to work for a week or so then ride back to the same issue again I'm starting to think it is my air compressor but before I spend that kind of money I want another opinions.

Replacing air dryer and governor is a good ting you did . The problem in your case is most likely in the compressor head . More precisely the unloader piston moving the plate back and forth. There's O-ring on it . What's happening is compressor gets air from intake manifold . Unfortunately there's not only clean fresh air but also recirculating EXHAUST gases containing a lot of black stuff that kills engines and compressors ....and our pockets . I hope you got the picture. It's up to you to replace the whole compressor or only head or repair the poor thing yourself.

Thanks you answered my question I will be replacing the whole compressor.
replyreply
04-13-2016, (Subject: 2nd air gauge not working ) 
(04-12-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  A trick someone told me was blow some WD40 into compressor inlet to keep the unloader from sticking and clear soot from reed valve. Havent had to try it yet and shouldnt be a problem in the future since the soot monster was slain.

There is an official Cummins procedure that involves spraying WD-40 into the compressor intake. Should take less than 30 minutes and worth a shot. It worked for some other old forum members.
replyreply
I would try the WD-40 and then if that does not work, get the head kit for the compressor, if that is the direction you believe you should go. From everything I have been told, it is the head that fails on these compressors, not the compressor itself. This has come direct from my local Cummins shop and more than a few of their mechanics when I thought I was having issues with mine. I have also heard the same from other shops, fleet shops, that work extensivley with the ISX motor.
replyreply
(04-13-2016 )yamajason Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  A trick someone told me was blow some WD40 into compressor inlet to keep the unloader from sticking and clear soot from reed valve. Havent had to try it yet and shouldnt be a problem in the future since the soot monster was slain.

There is an official Cummins procedure that involves spraying WD-40 into the compressor intake. Should take less than 30 minutes and worth a shot. It worked for some other old forum members.

I would do the same , cross my fingers until I get home and take an action toward fixing it the best possible way . I apologize to stevesparts for cluttering his original thread with answers not related to his question!
replyreply
(04-13-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  
(04-13-2016 )yamajason Wrote:  

I would do the same , cross my fingers until I get home and take an action toward fixing it the best possible way . I apologize to stevesparts for cluttering his original thread with answers not related to his question!

no problem everyone needs answers. :) still looking to fix mine. when i got some time:-/
replyreply
04-23-2016, (Subject: 2nd air gauge not working ) 
well just a update as i still work my problem, replaced the pressure switch......it now comes on more often and steady but i've still got something in the system that's not right as it still causes the gauge to go to zero the sit there come back up. but its staying on longer now so got to trace the wires down..:( and its a big bundle of wire its in....ugh.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.