Low coolant level CEL
01-03-2018, (Subject: Low coolant level CEL ) 
Low coolant level CEL
'03 ISX CM870. Low coolant level CEL.

I flushed the coolant four times around May 2017. First three times with simple green as a cleaner, then the last time with Cummins coolant flush cleaner. There was oil in the coolant from the original engine that was replaced. The original coolant level sensor worked if you cleaned it and put it back in. I've been running green coolant since then.

The original sensor was replaced around the same time I did an EGR tune-up, maybe June or July. I had one coolant hose blow in the summer, and one heater hose blow in the fall. So I've kinda lived with the CEL, in my opinion it seems to take a while to burp, and adding coolant was just part of life.

I wasn't adding coolant for a month or two. Life was good, except the CEL. Used a multimeter on the sensor, according to Insite my sensor was outside the ohm range listed for a good sensor, cleaned it and put it back in. Ordered a new sensor, about a week went by until I could get the new sensor, CEL was back on. Changed the sensor 2-3 weeks ago, good up until last weekend when the CEL came back. Popped the hood it's showing coolant is still full.

Do I flush it completely again and start running red coolant, now that I think the leaks are fixed? I read that the red coolant is better, regardless.

Do I change the sensor again, or look at possibly wiring issues? Maybe pop the original one back in?

I just don't get this, it should be a simple fix......

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
RE: Low coolant level CEL
Excuse my ignorance,
Could you please post a picture of the sensor?
replyreply
I know kw had a update for this exact issue in their chassis. It was a little module that plugged into the circuit and eliminated that problem. But it did require you to install a different level sensor along with it. Maybe you could see if there is something like that available for your truck.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Wiseman
Im also having this issue... with a 07 cm870
replyreply
I too am having this same exact issue with my 2011 Volvo ISX 2250. Was going to tackle it this summer since the truck now parked to run my other one.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
01-04-2018, (Subject: Low coolant level CEL ) 
(01-03-2018 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  '03 ISX CM870. Low coolant level CEL.

I flushed the coolant four times around May 2017. First three times with simple green as a cleaner, then the last time with Cummins coolant flush cleaner. There was oil in the coolant from the original engine that was replaced. The original coolant level sensor worked if you cleaned it and put it back in. I've been running green coolant since then.

The original sensor was replaced around the same time I did an EGR tune-up, maybe June or July. I had one coolant hose blow in the summer, and one heater hose blow in the fall. So I've kinda lived with the CEL, in my opinion it seems to take a while to burp, and adding coolant was just part of life.

I wasn't adding coolant for a month or two. Life was good, except the CEL. Used a multimeter on the sensor, according to Insite my sensor was outside the ohm range listed for a good sensor, cleaned it and put it back in. Ordered a new sensor, about a week went by until I could get the new sensor, CEL was back on. Changed the sensor 2-3 weeks ago, good up until last weekend when the CEL came back. Popped the hood it's showing coolant is still full.

Do I flush it completely again and start running red coolant, now that I think the leaks are fixed? I read that the red coolant is better, regardless.

Do I change the sensor again, or look at possibly wiring issues? Maybe pop the original one back in?

Was the sensor you purchased as a replacement an OEM or after market one DD?

Green coolant is fine to run, just make sure you have test strips and check it at a maximum quarterly (suggest monthly) as the chemical balance its quite as stable as red.
I have been told that green is a little thicker than red, so it is less prone to weeping and cold leaks which in the Canadian climate without a shop may be nice. As well as shutting the truck off and running Webasto/Epar in the winter, wanna find a cold leak, this will make you.
This is the first truck I've ran red in, because that's what it came with, but I've never had any specific issues with green as long as I kept up on the test strips and added chem's as req'd.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
01-04-2018, (Subject: Low coolant level CEL ) 
(01-04-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(01-03-2018 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  '03 ISX CM870. Low coolant level CEL.

Was the sensor you purchased as a replacement an OEM or after market one DD?

Green coolant is fine to run, just make sure you have test strips and check it at a maximum quarterly (suggest monthly) as the chemical balance its quite as stable as red.
I have been told that green is a little thicker than red, so it is less prone to weeping and cold leaks which in the Canadian climate without a shop may be nice. As well as shutting the truck off and running Webasto/Epar in the winter, wanna find a cold leak, this will make you.
This is the first truck I've ran red in, because that's what it came with, but I've never had any specific issues with green as long as I kept up on the test strips and added chem's as req'd.
They have all been OEM sensors, right from the IH dealer.

I do have a couple test strips, it's on the to-do list.

My block heater needs a new cord, my Espar coolant heater is broken (being fixed this past week) and my Webasto bunk heater isn't working. I did run all new coolant lines in the fall.

replyreply
01-24-2018, (Subject: Low coolant level CEL ) 
If I jump the pigtail with a wire, and the CEL light goes out, then drive it for a week, that should help me diagnose if it's the sensor or the wiring, correct? If I get a CEL with the sensor unplugged that eliminates the sensor.

I am seeing a film of oil on the top of the antifreeze again, so maybe I didn't flush it well enough. I'm debating to flush it again a couple times, it could be the new sensor is getting too dirty to read correctly.

replyreply
01-25-2018, (Subject: Low coolant level CEL ) 
Driving around with unplugged/non functioning coolant level sensor isn’t good idea.
I do understand your frustration, but there should be another way to find out the culprit.
To flush properly coolant system use this products .

replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.