Flywheel housing gasket replacement
01-05-2018, (Subject: Flywheel housing gasket replacement ) 
RE: Flywheel housing gasket replacement
I had to wait for a pilot bearing to come in, yeah I know it's just a pilot bearing, who cares?
Well Starlight stopped by this morning to put faces to each other's screen names, nice to finally meet you buddy, my door is always open so stop on by! He can verify, the one I used was "high temp" rated and 4yrs and 400k km's later, it still spins! So yeah, I'll wait thanks.

Ive been having issues with things not coming apart easily due to age, and I'm a little older and fatter, so I'm not having as easy a time as I had thought...

New front motor mounts are in and the back end is ready to come apart, but I'm going to visit mom this weekend, so next week I'll have more update and pics.

For now, as you can see the rear main seal is just starting to weep, so I'm glad I got in here now when I did.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: gatow900 , Starlight , JMBT
01-05-2018, (Subject: Flywheel housing gasket replacement ) 
(01-05-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  I had to wait for a pilot bearing to come in, yeah I know it's just a pilot bearing, who cares?
Well Starlight stopped by this morning to put faces to each other's screen names, nice to finally meet you buddy, my door is always open so stop on by! He can verify, the one I used was "high temp" rated and 4yrs and 400k km's later, it still spins! So yeah, I'll wait thanks.

Ive been having issues with things not coming apart easily due to age, and I'm a little older and fatter, so I'm not having as easy a time as I had thought...

New front motor mounts are in and the back end is ready to come apart, but I'm going to visit mom this weekend,Mao next week I'll have more update and pics.

For now, as you can see the rear main seal is just starting to weep, so I'm glad I got in here now when I did.
Don’t forget to check the air line that goes from the air compressor to drier.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Starlight
01-06-2018, (Subject: Flywheel housing gasket replacement ) 
(01-05-2018 )gatow900 Wrote:  Don’t forget to check the air line that goes from the air compressor to drier.

Oh I end up replacing that damn $406.92 hose every time I play in here...

I removed it, goin to just get Greggs Distributors to make me one so I have it when it starts leaking in 3 weeks...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: gatow900
Quick question hammerhead, what did you use to jack up the rear of the motor to take the flywheel housing off? Single jack setup or some kind of double jack contraption? Also, where did you jack it up, on the oil pan flange or some place else? Thanks in advance.
replyreply
(01-06-2018 )mastergregor Wrote:  Quick question hammerhead, what did you use to jack up the rear of the motor to take the flywheel housing off? Single jack setup or some kind of double jack contraption? Also, where did you jack it up, on the oil pan flange or some place else? Thanks in advance.

I'm at moms for the w/end, I'll post pics of who, what, where, and how on Monday for ya.
But 2 bottle jacks, oil pan removed, and on the flat flange along where the pan would mount with thin wood shims so it's not steel on steel.
Because I have them, the jacks are on 4' long hernia blocks* to built a solid foundation as I have the truck up on 5" of blocks at the rear and on 8" of Jack stands on the front to make more room and working underside more conducive for a fat bastard with short arms...and to also make enough clearance to get the tranny out from under the truck to service it.

*Hernia blocks are 10" X 12" X4' hardwood blocks I use for loads that weigh 260# each, hence the term, they'll give you one if you aren't ready for it

replyreply
 Thanks given by: gatow900 , scottydogtruck , mastergregor
Hernia blocks, lol. Being alone in that shop gets you thinking of all kinds of stuff. Thanks for the laugh hammer.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
I am just now reading your post!! Get after it Hammer, you’re kicking ass man! I am enjoying the pics, I feel it won’t be long before Brother and I are pulling mine for the same job. I’ll take any info or tips you want to pass along!!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
01-08-2018, (Subject: Flywheel housing gasket replacement ) 
Here is a pic of how I have the engine supported while I R&R the f/w housing...

The thin wood on top of the jacks is actually just a piece paint stir stick

Got back from moms today and got after it. Planned on having the new gasket and housing all cleaned and mounted up tonight...then as I was cleaning things I found something I didn't like the look of, so drug it over to the wash bay for a good cleanup.

My f/w housing is cracked to shi#t all over the place, of course I confirm this at 4:30 so it's too late to get cleaned up and into the city to p/u another one today...tick tock, this thing is just killing me time wise.

Thanks to Starlight & Unilevers for looking at my pics and confirming my fears for me...did somebody say beer?

replyreply
 Thanks given by: mastergregor
01-09-2018, (Subject: Flywheel housing gasket replacement ) 
First of all, I’m jealous-of the garage, equipment, knowledge, and time you have to do this. I do a lot of stuff in my residential driveway, but I stop at pulling transmissions, and that. And the truck doesn’t fit in my garage, so not much work gets done outside in the winter (Massachusetts).
But I just arranged to drop off my truck for the very same thing (to a good independent shop).It’s not real bad yet, but I want to catch it before it gets worse.
They will do rear motor mounts, and probably rear main seal. My clutch is only two years old. I don’t plan on replacing it. Maybe replace pilot bearing and throw-out bearing. My trans functions ok. I wish I had money to go through it like you are. (825,000 miles).
What about your oil pump? I was thinking of that, too.
Should I change the oil pump? I think I should probably do the trans also.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.