Flywheel housing gasket replacement
01-10-2018, (Subject: Flywheel housing gasket replacement ) 
RE: Flywheel housing gasket replacement
I'd be lost without my 13. I can't go back to a 10 speed now...it really helps in the hills.

I'll be doing my thirteen later this year, after I finish up the engine. I already called Haggais for a quote...speaking of, I need to call them back for it. In either case, I'm doing a new clutch, flywheel housing gasket and rear main, clutch kit, mounts, and upgrading the trans to a 20913 while I'm there.

I'm watching this. I'm curious how that trans came out. Id be lying if I didn't say that I've considered doing this myself...

Found that o-ring in loose in mine. Found mine in an oil cooler nozzle if memory serves me right. Found it when I was doing a bearing roll. I got lucky.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
01-11-2018, (Subject: Flywheel housing gasket replacement ) 
(01-06-2018 )mastergregor Wrote:  Nice setup, I guess you have calibrated both jacks to a super precise travel speed and pump action lift height :) JK, of course, I was planning on using a solid 2x2 square steel, and a single ram jack, across the same points as you have. I was not sure if it would clear the bottom end of the engine, and not get in the way of flywheel housing.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks, actually using two jacks isn't that difficult, pump both at the same time with only half the handle, your only lifting the back end of the engine and it isn't attached so it lifts easily. For lowering, just use the handle to "crack" the valve screws loose then use both hands and you can easily adjust on the fly and settle it down nice n easy. I have 6 jacks so grabbing 2 the same is no issue for me.
If you're going to use one jack and a 2x2" tube, yes it will not interfere with the main bearing cap or rod in the journal, so you'll be fine. If you've got access to some thin wood I'd advise that between the block and your 2x2, I don't take chances of marring gasket mating surfaces, I hate fixing leaks.
Using 2 jacks allows you to "tilt" the motor allowing you to manipulate the rear motor mounts in easier without lifting the engine as high if you don't have the room to slide the f/w housing in place with the motor mounts in place...

Good luck, and don't be like me and look too hard, or you'll find endless things to do while you're in there...
I think my truck hates me!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
01-11-2018, (Subject: Flywheel housing gasket replacement ) 
(01-10-2018 )Ragindirt Wrote:  Lost my clutch brake yesterday; dinged up the input shift some, and granny is getting harder to select down to low. 10 speed in truck currently, if synchronizing gear is shot or any other gears I am opting to install a 15, anybody have a name of good eaton shop in the middle of US.

Don't pull 100K but 5 days a week 84K+ through the flint hills.

Losing a clutch brake doesn't mean you need to replace your clutch.
Use an air hammer with a wedge to put a start into the clutch brake, then switch to a nice sharp chisel and cut through the clutch brake. You may need to cut both sides in order to remove it.
Then you can install a "two piece" to replace it.
If you are replacing a clutch, resist the calls from all the "knowitalls" to use a two piece right off the bat. I've made this mistake.
Here is a pic of a used two piece and an Eaton clutch brake.

The reason you should always put in an Eaton one piece when you do a clutch is simple, the one piece has a spring in it that allows it to move, thus reducing the chances of shock loading it and shearing off the two little tabs that lock the clutch brake to the input shaft. A two piece, if the pedal is pressed too far when moving has no cushion and can easily shear off the tabs, thus rendering the brake a useless spacer. A one piece can be "bumped" and should survive where a 2 wouldn't. Yes, we should strive to never do this, but we all know shi#t happens!

Removing a clutch brake is a crappy job and a two piece is a piece of cake compared to a one piece, but the likelihood is smaller.

Obviously, without removing the tranny and clutch, the only option for resolving your issue is cutting out and then installing a two piece...and trust me I will tell your to cut it out and put in a two piece if there is no obvious reason to remove the tranny. This is a 6 pack, $100, and a shower job compared to a whole weekend and hate your life type job of R&Ring a tranny for no reason.

Oh yeah, one other thing; clutch brakes are designed to have grease on them...so if you have the inspection plate off and your c/brake looks dry, go get a wood coffee stir stick and use it to rech up and smear some grease on both side of your c/brake at least once a year...maybe twice. After you do this, when you start your truck for the first time after doing so, immediately fully press your clutch pedal to smear the grease across the whole surface. Doing this will make your c/brake last longer...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDlighttruck , dhirocz , DSTdriver
01-17-2018, (Subject: Flywheel housing gasket replacement ) 
Well the job is done, and there is no signs of any leaks after a test drive.
I also installed my Webasto tandem heater set during/after completing this job and I'm looking forward to not having to run my APU nearly as often.

I took an extraordinarily long time to do this job, but life interfered and stretched it out much longer than I had wished, but it's done...and it was done right!

I'm gonna need to "knock the edges" off these new shift forks I can tell ya! Good god I look like a rookie, I had a he77 of a time finding gears this thing is so tight now/again.

I found a crapload of little things wrong that were addressed while accessibility was so much easier with major components out of the way. I was damn shocked to discover my "mystery O-ring" in the rear block oil rifle/crossover. I was also pretty damn lucky to find it when I did, and in the state I did instead of it dislodging into a piston cooling jet.

I've got a nice long trip to break her back in, I'm heading to Virginia empty, stacked up to go and load a big crawler crane to come back to Alberta. Wish I would have been done a couple days earlier, and also known about the load a couple days earlier...this will be the closest I'll be getting to some guy from Atlanta's place since I've found the site...but alas, the call came today, and I finished today. I'm leaving tomorrow after I finish cleaning up my shop to my standards.

If anybody is thinking of tackling this job, be prepared for many things to not go according to plan. The EGR crossover tube caused me unexpected issues, along with all the dang plumbing of the compressor discharge line across the top of the tranny, the liquid tranny cooler and all of it plumbing and hardware (yes I stil despise this stupid idea for a tranny cooler, but I haven't yet figured out an acceptable place to mount an air cooler yet.) However, all of these issues lead me to find quite a few potential problems after 9 years of wear and tear. I'm happy I found them and gave them each their necessary attention...but I've had enough, I'm looking forward to packing up my favorite girl and go truckin!

Oh yeah, remember the whole "cutting a hole in my floor" thing?
This is how the access panel trim turned out in the end...

replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Mrkentee , Wiseman , DDlighttruck
Looks good , right back in the saddle nice .
I know after being at home I go trucking to have "days off" , but that's farm related not pulling wrenches , lol

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
Now all he needs is to take a trip down here and spend a couple days. lol

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(01-17-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  Now all he needs is to take a trip down here and spend a couple days. lol

Make sure the beer fridge is full!!

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
01-18-2018, (Subject: Flywheel housing gasket replacement ) 
(01-17-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  Now all he needs is to take a trip down here and spend a couple days. lol

I got the last little bit of ducting ran for my new Webasto bunk heater, put the couch back in, vacuumed up the mess, pulled the truck outside, and pressure washed the crap out of my floors and cleaned the shop back up to my standards, so now;
How far way is Richlands, Va?
That is where I'm heading...
Va is a royal PITA when it comes to "Superload" permit status. The permit was ordered yesterday, if the permit isn't in by the time I get loaded, I'm headed to your place...
If they tell me there is another one of these, as soon as I unload I'll stack up and head to Atlanta, hopefully it won't be ready for a couple of weeks...

replyreply
01-18-2018, (Subject: Flywheel housing gasket replacement ) 
(01-17-2018 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  Make sure the beer fridge is full!!

Nah, Rawze likes red wine...I'm gonna see if I can bring some BC Icewine with me, we'll drink that one night for sure...

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.