Flywheel housing gasket replacement
01-11-2018, (Subject: Flywheel housing gasket replacement ) 
RE: Flywheel housing gasket replacement
(01-06-2018 )mastergregor Wrote:  Nice setup, I guess you have calibrated both jacks to a super precise travel speed and pump action lift height :) JK, of course, I was planning on using a solid 2x2 square steel, and a single ram jack, across the same points as you have. I was not sure if it would clear the bottom end of the engine, and not get in the way of flywheel housing.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks, actually using two jacks isn't that difficult, pump both at the same time with only half the handle, your only lifting the back end of the engine and it isn't attached so it lifts easily. For lowering, just use the handle to "crack" the valve screws loose then use both hands and you can easily adjust on the fly and settle it down nice n easy. I have 6 jacks so grabbing 2 the same is no issue for me.
If you're going to use one jack and a 2x2" tube, yes it will not interfere with the main bearing cap or rod in the journal, so you'll be fine. If you've got access to some thin wood I'd advise that between the block and your 2x2, I don't take chances of marring gasket mating surfaces, I hate fixing leaks.
Using 2 jacks allows you to "tilt" the motor allowing you to manipulate the rear motor mounts in easier without lifting the engine as high if you don't have the room to slide the f/w housing in place with the motor mounts in place...

Good luck, and don't be like me and look too hard, or you'll find endless things to do while you're in there...
I think my truck hates me!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Flywheel housing gasket replacement - Hammerhead - 01-11-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.