Flywheel housing gasket replacement
01-17-2018, (Subject: Flywheel housing gasket replacement ) 
RE: Flywheel housing gasket replacement
Well the job is done, and there is no signs of any leaks after a test drive.
I also installed my Webasto tandem heater set during/after completing this job and I'm looking forward to not having to run my APU nearly as often.

I took an extraordinarily long time to do this job, but life interfered and stretched it out much longer than I had wished, but it's done...and it was done right!

I'm gonna need to "knock the edges" off these new shift forks I can tell ya! Good god I look like a rookie, I had a he77 of a time finding gears this thing is so tight now/again.

I found a crapload of little things wrong that were addressed while accessibility was so much easier with major components out of the way. I was damn shocked to discover my "mystery O-ring" in the rear block oil rifle/crossover. I was also pretty damn lucky to find it when I did, and in the state I did instead of it dislodging into a piston cooling jet.

I've got a nice long trip to break her back in, I'm heading to Virginia empty, stacked up to go and load a big crawler crane to come back to Alberta. Wish I would have been done a couple days earlier, and also known about the load a couple days earlier...this will be the closest I'll be getting to some guy from Atlanta's place since I've found the site...but alas, the call came today, and I finished today. I'm leaving tomorrow after I finish cleaning up my shop to my standards.

If anybody is thinking of tackling this job, be prepared for many things to not go according to plan. The EGR crossover tube caused me unexpected issues, along with all the dang plumbing of the compressor discharge line across the top of the tranny, the liquid tranny cooler and all of it plumbing and hardware (yes I stil despise this stupid idea for a tranny cooler, but I haven't yet figured out an acceptable place to mount an air cooler yet.) However, all of these issues lead me to find quite a few potential problems after 9 years of wear and tear. I'm happy I found them and gave them each their necessary attention...but I've had enough, I'm looking forward to packing up my favorite girl and go truckin!

Oh yeah, remember the whole "cutting a hole in my floor" thing?
This is how the access panel trim turned out in the end...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Mrkentee , Wiseman , DDlighttruck

Messages In This Thread
RE: Flywheel housing gasket replacement - Hammerhead - 01-17-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.