Exhaust manifold leak
01-04-2018, (Subject: Exhaust manifold leak ) 
Exhaust manifold leak
   Hey guys here’s what I have got. CM2250, @m*m^2, 645K, oil or soot, or both coming from 2nd cylinder exhaust port leaking past the manifold gasket. Truck is running great, fuel mileage good, power good, but manifold temps are a bit higher than normal. Cylinder cut out test, runs on all cylinders individually, but sounds equally crappy on each, so I am guessing normal for the age of the motor.
Could the oil be from failing valve guide seals? Truck also smokes a bit after I have idled to warm up in the morning. Then quits until cooled off again.
Brother and I replaced the manifold and gaskets 160K ago, but before the truck was demandated. Since deman the exhaust temps have been higher in hard pulls. Could the manifold have shrunk?? I have heard of that happening before, however none of the bolts look bent.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Starlight
RE: Exhaust manifold leak
Heres what i see quite alot. The centre section of the manifold distorts with age resulting in leaks either on the number 2 or 5 positions. Not certain that'll be the case with yours but def something to closely look at when you remove it. Probably oil leaking past valve guide seals that your seeing
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
The for the reply Starlight, do you think it would have distorted in 160k miles?? If it did distort, am I looking at another new manifold or just new gaskets, bolts, and retorque?? The upside, if there is one, Once I get the manifold off I will finally get to put an eye on the exhaust ports to determine if the valve guide seals a bad. Have been thinking that for awhile, but work has been fairly good so I haven’t came off the road to pull it all apart yet. Looks like the time is now! One more load to deliver than we will break her down.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
Ive seen even less miles than that do it. Put a straight edge on it and check it with a feeler gauge. There's also the chance that you just need to fix the oil leak and install new gaskets. Manifold might be perfectly fine
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
01-05-2018, (Subject: Exhaust manifold leak ) 
Thanks again! It will be a few days before I get to tear into it, but I’ll post what I find.

replyreply
My number-5 got slight dark patches around the outside of the manifold gasket about 3 weeks after my inframe. It never got bad enough to worry about and has not made any large black areas indicating anything more than a micro-seepage around the gasket to justify replacing it again.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Rawze, was it the same or less then my picture above? I cleaned it up the best I could yesterday, just to see how bad it leaks going across the country on this next load.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.