Proper engine warm up procedure?
01-07-2018, (Subject: Proper engine warm up procedure? ) 
Proper engine warm up procedure?
What procedure are you guys using to warm up the engine in the morning before take off? Can you turn the truck on and do a high idle 8-900 rpm till maybe about 150 temp then slowly take off?
replyreply
RE: Proper engine warm up procedure?
Drain your coolant and add a block heater, not hard in a red engine. At 9 degrees last week my truck fired right up and was at operational temp within 40 minutes.
I don't idle about normal range (700) until it gets to 165°, try not to drive until it is at least 180°.
There is a plate about 2" behind water pump to install block heater; cost you about 70 dollars; had to heat my old one up to soften up o-ring.

User's Signature: "KW is my choice of trucks"
replyreply
I'm in California bud. Coldest it gets here in 40 degress
replyreply
Some related thread(s)...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid19286

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thanks rawze!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
I don’t know if it is right but I start up in the morning summer or winter, and low idle 650 until the oil temp hits about 80 degrees, then bump up to high idle 850 until oil temp hits at least 130 degrees. Then I take off easy. May not be right?? IDK?? But it has always done me well, kept idle hours low, very important when it was a mandated engine.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
Just rember you don’t want pistons expanding faster than liners. If you have to go on a cold engine. Don’t open the throttle much. Just go easy until oil and water temperature are up. You don’t want any snap heat changes hot or cold. What ever it takes for that just use own judgement. Even if your at operating temps on engine I always take it easy for a bite just to let the gear boxes warm up some. Just imagine your truck needs it’s morning coffee too be for you ask to much of it. That’s my 2 cents.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , scottydogtruck , hhow55 , Hammerhead
01-17-2018, (Subject: Proper engine warm up procedure? ) 
What about the cranking itself? Sometimes it seems the isx 2250 takes a few times to turn over before it will Start. Would it help to wait after turning the key on for a bit before cranking, or is that just the way Cummins Starts?

User's Signature: If it ain't broke, don't mean it won't be at some point.
replyreply
01-17-2018, (Subject: Proper engine warm up procedure? ) 
What are you guys setting your idle rpm at? Mine is at 600 rpm. Cm2250
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.