Is this bad or just what I have to expect?
01-10-2018, (Subject: Is this bad or just what I have to expect? ) 
Is this bad or just what I have to expect?
I'm in the process of trying to find a truck to buy. I live Southern California so I have to keep all the emission junk on. I'm attaching a list of warrantee work that has been done. I wanted to see if this is just what I have to expect from these new engines? I have built and restored many cars trucks and even been a service manager for local dealership. But I have never been so uncomfortable about buying a piece of equipment as I do these modern smog engines.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201801/post_3308_1515612529_5d2f7ae97c63624ebaf845b65468f0fe.png
replyreply
RE: Is this bad or just what I have to expect?
A turbo at 146000? and also a head at 208000?

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
Seems a lot of parts have been changed in so little amount of mileage. I don't see an egr cooler being swapped out. Check and see if it has original if it does plan on changing out soon. They only last 200-350k. Also check fuel pump head. 2cyl or 3cyl. Stay away from 3cyl or u will be spending like 3k for 2cyl pump conversion. Watch rawze video for buying used truck.
replyreply
01-11-2018, (Subject: Is this bad or just what I have to expect? ) 
Looks like someone was fleeced badly at the local stealersh$its.

Where are all the parts replacements for the EGR tune-up like the sensors and Delta-P and all the stuff that causes all those problems? - Looks like you will have your work cut out for you on that one to get it road worthy again.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
01-11-2018, (Subject: Is this bad or just what I have to expect? ) 
Well it seems that the truck is throwing red flags? The truck has a PTO and it pulled a air pump trailer. So it probably has many hours of wear.
replyreply
01-12-2018, (Subject: Is this bad or just what I have to expect? ) 
(01-11-2018 )Badlogin Wrote:  Well it seems that the truck is throwing red flags? The truck has a PTO and it pulled a air pump trailer. So it probably has many hours of wear.

Yes and No.
This is just the opinion of another dumb truck driver, but even though there is hours packed onto the engine at low torque loads that resemble idling, and we all know how much emissions systems love idling, one thing that is assured...even a dipshit driver can't abuse the rest of the truck while the PTO is running its accessory.
Imho, that is actually a plus, because the tranny and driveline have likely not been overly abused.
Another point, most drivers that actually have to use a pump, blower, hydraulics, etc. actually have to think in order to do their jobs. So generally, and I do mean generally, it's usually not bottom of the barrel idiots you wouldn't let drive your wheelbarrow, even if they supplied the tire, type of guys doing said jobs.

Now this is a generalization, but think about it...how many deer in the headlights dumbasses have you seen doing these type of jobs? I know I haven't seen half as many as the dumbasses I've seen driving Mega fleet trucks.
This is totally subjective, and I'm completely open to counter-arguments on the subject.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , Waterloo , Signature620 , scottydogtruck , hhow55 , ZeroNthedark , JMBT
01-12-2018, (Subject: Is this bad or just what I have to expect? ) 
(01-12-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(01-11-2018 )Badlogin Wrote:  Well it seems that the truck is throwing red flags? The truck has a PTO and it pulled a air pump trailer. So it probably has many hours of wear.

Yes and No.
This is just the opinion of another dumb truck driver, but even though there is hours packed onto the engine at low torque loads that resemble idling, and we all know how much emissions systems love idling, one thing that is assured...even a dipshit driver can't abuse the rest of the truck while the PTO is running its accessory.
Imho, that is actually a plus, because the tranny and driveline have likely not been overly abused.
Another point, most drivers that actually have to use a pump, blower, hydraulics, etc. actually have to think in order to do their jobs. So generally, and I do mean generally, it's usually not bottom of the barrel idiots you wouldn't let drive your wheelbarrow, even if they supplied the tire, type of guys doing said jobs.

Now this is a generalization, but think about it...how many deer in the headlights dumbasses have you seen doing these type of jobs? I know I haven't seen half as many as the dumbasses I've seen driving Mega fleet trucks.
This is totally subjective, and I'm completely open to counter-arguments on the subject.

Waaaaiiit a min hammer ....
I am just one more dumbass and I do or have done those jobs ...
Ssssssshhhhhhhh
Don't tell anybody any different ....
Haha you wanted a argument and we both know I ain't to bright ,lol

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
01-13-2018, (Subject: Is this bad or just what I have to expect? ) 
Lol I can't form any opinions on other kinds of trucking. I'm still new to this forum. Things like replacing the doser, EGR or sensors don't really concern me. What does worrying me is the issue with the cups in the head leaking and the overhead being starved due to sutt and damage to the cam. I think I've watched most of Rawze's videos and It makes me feel like all these engines are prone to failure. I don't feel like I can buy one of these engines without pulling the valve cover. From the outside how can I tell if a cup is leaking? Every one around here is saying don't buy anything earlier then 2014.
replyreply
01-13-2018, (Subject: Is this bad or just what I have to expect? ) 
If by the "cups" you mean injector cups, there is really no way to tell unless you take the truck home for the night, drain the oil, remove the pan, and pressurize the cooling system overnight and look at the cylinders, inside and out, in the morning.
As far as the overhead, cams, etc., I have gone with my young buddy to look at a few trucks, and all the dealers now know if I can't pull the rocker cover, connect my laptop, and basically do whatever I want for an inspection the conversation is over and we leave. The one dealer knows I have a Chinese version of Inline/Insight so they won't let me connect mine, but they let me use theirs.
He's starting to think I don't want him to buy a truck. He keeps telling me to just sell him mine, then he'd be done...I keep telling him I don't wanna tell him everything I could find wrong with mine, as anal as I am I'd end up rebuilding the whole damn thing.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: scottydogtruck

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.