Valve guide seals!!
09-11-2018, (Subject: Valve guide seals!! ) 
RE: Valve guide seals!!
(09-11-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(01-11-2018 )simon999 Wrote:  I did this on cm2350. You need valve spring compressor part # 4919358 $350
New updated seal kit part #4376219 $120, it comes with new collets.
Take the fuel connectors from injectors out , replace o-ring on those.
Take injectors out, replace oring and copper seal.
Find top dead center on cylinder you work with long zip tie. Make sure you cover oil passages in the head , you dont want drop anything in those holes! Follow cummins quickserve.

Not mentioned here is that the fueling connectors going into the block that feed fuel to each of the injectors are married to that injector once installed. The metal end of them is deformed and creates the 40,000 psi seal to the injector. When removing them, number them so that you don't mix them up, or you will be buying new ones because they will get leaky after a while if you have mixed them up.

I completely missed the 2350 part, thanks for catching my obvious oversight...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
09-12-2018, (Subject: Valve guide seals!! ) 
(01-11-2018 )JMBT Wrote:  I am changing them to cure the problem of smoking a bit on start-up after idling to warm motor. After the demandate, when I idle in the morning to warm up, I smoke just a bit, (blue) when I take off. Then it doesn't smoke at all once warm, even if I idle. Several of the guys on here thought valve guides seals when I asked a few months ago. Tomorrow I am pulling the exh. manifold to replace a leaking gasket, and I'll get to see if it is truly the valve guide seals.

Any updates on whether this cured the problem? My 2350 does this intermittently. I first noticed it would puff blue smoke and kinda hiccup right around 1300 rpm’s, light throttle and cooler oil temps.(200ish) Later on noticed it would do it throughout the day after startup from sitting for a bit. I’m leaning more towards a programming issue, in particular the multiple injection events as both 2350’s I’ve owned had that same hiccup I just never saw the unburnt fuel because of the mandate.

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
02-08-2019, (Subject: Valve guide seals!! ) 
SchISM, sorry it took so long to get back to you! I have been out of the loop for awhile and just getting back to it now!

The valve guide seals fixed the problem almost completely straight away! Now 50K miles later I am smoking again. Same thing only about 5 min or so after the first warm up idle of a morning. Then completely clean all day, idle or not. I can’t imagine it would be the VG seals again. Maybe my turbo weep has gotten a little worse, or running Howe’s additive for the cold is causing some of it???

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.