Losing coolant but do not know where.
03-27-2016, (Subject: Losing coolant but do not know where. ) 
RE: Losing coolant but do not know where.
(03-27-2016 )Madmoly340 Wrote:  Whats it run to replace the head gasket

I was quoted around $4000.00 for just the head gasket, or there about, parts and labor. The head bolts are one time use, and the new ones ain't cheap. The gasket itself is like $80. A new or reman head with gasket, figure $7000.00 to $7500.00... I needed a new head along with having the lower end, rods and mains, and said screw it, let's tear into her... We are selling stock, Apple stock... Right now budgeting $34,000 and we will more than likely be real close.

One thing you can do, is run up to NAPA and get an Coolant Exhaust Gas Test Kit http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/BK_7001006. It is a regular stock item in most stores, around $40 or there about. It takes a matter of seconds to perform and will at least tell you if there is gas in your system. From there you try to figure out where the leak is... Have you gone around the truck and tighten all of your hose clamps yet? I would recommend doing that before you do anything. Check your coolant bottle, any signs of coolant running down the sides? If so, buy a new cap and see if that stops it. I then bought that test kit after doing the above... Motor failed the test, then I started the other tests, air compressor and egr cooler, those passed so I knew it was my head gasket.

If it is your head gasket... I tried to nurse mine for as long as I could after discovering it last year in I think August of 2015, I made it to the first of March 2016... I haul very light loads in a 53' van, heavy for me is 15,000 and I am on flat land with my 600hp motor dialed back to 485hp. I think this helped to prolong my misery by a couple of months... But, in the process it took out all of my hoses, almost wiped out my TriPac, and blew my radiator apart. We are talking tows and roadside service call$$$$. I have the platinum roadside from my insurance company, and have yet to turn in those receipts... In other words, the longer you drive her, the odds are quickly going against you...

On Monday, I would go get one of those coolant gas test kits. If you are in a truck stop, and there is a Napa store nearby they will deliver it to you. Good luck... And yes, this sucks.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Losing coolant but do not know where. - Waterloo - 03-27-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.