Cold start idle??
01-13-2018, (Subject: Cold start idle?? ) 
RE: Cold start idle??
I was e-mailed the tune and had it evaluated. It is not nearly as bad as several I have seen lately, but it still has major issues that will eventually cause severe damage. One big red flags were that the engine brake is set to ridiculously high levels and can cause a dropped valve, cracking the head at high rpm levels. Looks like someone copied the engine brake settings from a terrible big-name tune and dumped it in. Another big red flag is the engine is not re-mapped to run in its non-egr mode(s) and is jumping into and out of scr warmup mode and eventually getting stuck there. This could very well be the fluctuating idle he is seeing.

The exhaust back-pressure sensing has been disabled. This make the engine ignore any clogged SCR or other can that has not been properly knocked out. this also removes protection for dropped valve conditions and has other implications.

The turbo inlet temp and speed limiting have both been disabled too. This prevents any detection of problems with the turbo not spinning fast enough because of blocked exhaust and/or it having issues due to CAC or other inlet problems. It also will not throw alarms if it over-spools too. - I disagree with these things strongly.

- Moderate problems are as follows, assuming for a moment that this truck is being operated in a foreign country where those mods are allowed perhaps because of high-sulfur diesel. Here is just some of the discrepancies found. They are things were still missing or will cause issue ...

* turbo ramp rate limiting was not removed for improved non-egr response.
* EGR temp thresholds were not removed.
* EGR pressure sensor was not disabled.
* auxiliary emissions control for pm, nox, fuel, injection timing, etc. was not switched off.
* EGR valve derates for speed and torque were not removed.
* NO2 and NOx engine output sensing was not switched off.
* EGR sensors delta-p, pressure, and temp were not un-mapped.
* No changing of pulse injection for better control of burn length without EGR gas was done.
* NO correction of injection timing for late PCCI without EGRG to protect engine and reduce internal friction was done.
* NO adjustment of fuel pressure to match the late PCCI injection strategy was done.
* No vectoring the engine into its main factory non-egr operating mode(s) or any other controlled state was performed.
* (optional) The removal of some redundant fuel limiters without altering power or torque settings so that it becomes easier to change power/torque in the future was not done.
* No corrected mass flow math for non-egr/blocked pipe operations was done.
* No reduction of cold ambient timing advance offsets to match non-egr control.
* Improper Correction of estimated torque to match requests based on non-egr operations.
* No removal of the clean air flow limiter based on EGR sensor feedback was done.
* The EGR valve and its operations/logic were not un-mapped.
* Auxiliary emissions control systems were not de-activated.
* Auxiliary emissions adjustments for Ammonia, NOx, and other derates were still being imposed.
* No removal of silent derates imposed by the SCR inducement manager after it was switched off.
* No re-adjusting of the turbo upper speed limit to 145krpm (factory upper rating is 150krpm on the 400 series turbochargers) to allow for extreme high altitude operation without alarm.
* (optional) The smart torque limiter was not disabled.
* Derates based on CAC leak rate were not disabled.
* un-mapping several of the hardware components for the emissions system were missed like the SCR NOx, DPF delta-p, DPF temp sensors and others.
* No removal of the high soot load logic and derates that it can impose.
* Most of the speed limiting emissions system darates were missed.
* All turbo speed limiting was removed. It needs to be left on so that there is some protection for the turbo.
* Exhaust back-pressure limiting and alarms were disabled. They need to be turned back on for prevention of dropped valves and protection of the engine.
* The accelerator pedal sensitivity was raised above factory settings. To fool the driver into thinking there was a power/torque gain falsely?.
* Several of the main combustion protections for the enigne were disabled.
* The oxygen fuel limiter was not set for more leniency to help reduce cylinder temps at higher fueling rates.
* The over-zealous engine brake was set far into the danger zone and can potentially cause an engine failure at high rpm.
* The turbocharger had been re-mapped to excess boost limits for this make and model of truck and likely causing over-boosting.
* No removal of the factory non-egr operating mode torque limiting was done.
* Mass air flow calculations were disabled.
* Turbocharger speed and other derates needed to protect the turbocharger were disabled.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , trucklogger2
Rawze i think you said my turbo boost was set at 40 psi too? And my timing was a bit too much?
replyreply
(01-13-2018 )jimeneztrans84 Wrote:  Rawze i think you said my turbo boost was set at 40 psi too? And my timing was a bit too much?

Yes it was programmed for it, but you have no boost gauge, so it is actually unknown.

The injection timing was about 8-9 degrees in the higher torque/fueling ranges and was a bit much on a 2250 when considering all other factors to go with it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Ordered boost and pyro gauges....
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.