Sending the ECM away
01-13-2018, (Subject: Sending the ECM away ) 
Sending the ECM away
I am considering sending the ecm away to get reprogrammed. The truck is an 09 mack with an mp8 in it. I had it demandated here in edmonton and I am not happy with the results. I have talked with gearhead's shop out in Pennsylvania and they have told me they cannot tune this truck remotely the only way for him to do it is to send the ecm out to them. Sending this thing through the mail and across the border really scares me. Has anybody else sent one across the border or does anybody else in the edmonton region do a good tune on these things?
replyreply
RE: Sending the ECM away
Cant help you on that one!
But how has your Mack with the MP8 been reliable?
We have them here in Australia, but there are terrible! the first ones from 2008 are no good over, The EGR had issues and Sensor issues stopping them on a daily basis
I personally know of two mates here, Mack Australia had to replace two new trucks as they where so bad all within 12 months old
they did have to sign a document to say they wouldn't go to the Press about their experience back in 2008
Mack upgraded them both to Trident Model, they had to pay the difference for the better truck but basically got a full refund on the earlier model Mack
Same engine MP8 but the difference was bigger bonneted truck and 500HP Add Blue MP8 changed from MP8 435 HP EGR
Both mates are much happier with the later and bigger Mack trucks today
Good to see Mack coming to the party to help their Customers
replyreply
I once used dhl once to send to send to vancouver, bc from the states, had no problem.
dhl.com
Then once mailed a letter from new brunswick to california using the canadian mail service, worked well for me.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
01-14-2018, (Subject: Sending the ECM away ) 
I can't help you with the Mack part of the equation, but I am in the Edmonton area...

I wouldn't use mail, Canada Post or USPS for return. Pay the extra and send it FedEx so you can track it if needed. Both CP & USPS have trackable shipping, but their systems don't play nice with each other for tracking international shipments!
I can never ever recommend UPS in Canada. In Canada it's pronounced "Oops" for a reason, and they bill the $h!t out of ya for doing the customs work! And if they see a higher value on the insurance, they will clear it through customs at that higher value and you will pay through your backside...and good luck getting them to straighten it out when they F-up, and they will! I said when, not "if".
Send it FedEx and do the paperwork yourself and save some serious $$. Ask them for help because you want to insure it for value, but you don't want to pay customs fees or duty on value because it's going out for service and will be returning to Canada. Hint: it's going for recalibration!

I have been to Gearhead's shop, and you are sending it to a reputable place.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Shandro , dhirocz , DDB
(01-13-2018 )adam isx Wrote:  Cant help you on that one!
But how has your Mack with the MP8 been reliable?
We have them here in Australia, but there are terrible! the first ones from 2008 are no good over, The EGR had issues and Sensor issues stopping them on a daily basis
I personally know of two mates here, Mack Australia had to replace two new trucks as they where so bad all within 12 months old
they did have to sign a document to say they wouldn't go to the Press about their experience back in 2008
Mack upgraded them both to Trident Model, they had to pay the difference for the better truck but basically got a full refund on the earlier model Mack
Same engine MP8 but the difference was bigger bonneted truck and 500HP Add Blue MP8 changed from MP8 435 HP EGR
Both mates are much happier with the later and bigger Mack trucks today
Good to see Mack coming to the party to help their Customers

The mack was running great fairly reliable did injectors once and got a new cam on warranty a material defect I believe. Would still be running great but one day the imap sensor failed and was reading 40 psi boost regardless if the truck was running or not. This really sooted everything up since it was over fueling so bad. Then I deleted it and lost I would say around 25-30 hp as well as lower fuel mileage.
replyreply
(01-14-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  I can't help you with the Mack part of the equation, but I am in the Edmonton area...

I wouldn't use mail, Canada Post or USPS for return. Pay the extra and send it FedEx so you can track it if needed. Both CP & USPS have trackable shipping, but their systems don't play nice with each other for tracking international shipments!
I can never ever recommend UPS in Canada. In Canada it's pronounced "Oops" for a reason, and they bill the $h!t out of ya for doing the customs work! And if they see a higher value on the insurance, they will clear it through customs at that higher value and you will pay through your backside...and good luck getting them to straighten it out when they F-up, and they will! I said when, not "if".
Send it FedEx and do the paperwork yourself and save some serious $$. Ask them for help because you want to insure it for value, but you don't want to pay customs fees or duty on value because it's going out for service and will be returning to Canada. Hint: it's going for recalibration!

I have been to Gearhead's shop, and you are sending it to a reputable place.

Thanks for the heads up I will for sure be sending it FedEx then. Never had an issue with Canada post but never sent anything over the border either. Sending a part like that away makes me uneasy you can't do anything with it. Just has to stay parked till it returns.

Glad to know he runs a good shop everyone on the site has nothing but good things to say.
replyreply
You are in good hands, and I agree with hammer on UPS, terrible service in Canada, do not use them, go FedEx.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Shandro
Many years ago before finding Rawze, I sent my ECU from WPG to the US. Sent it to a butcher but that's a whole other story. Sent it FedEx and had no problems, no customs or duty charges because it was just being sent to be "repaired". Shipped it overnight on a Monday, they programmed it and shipped it overnight back, had it Wednesday.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 1776trucking , Shandro
01-15-2018, (Subject: Sending the ECM away ) 
Don't state on the customs forms "For Repair" repair indicates work &/or value that can/may be taxed.
Stating it is going "For Recalibration" or "Update" indicates no value...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Shandro , Waterloo , fargonaz , Brock

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.