VG Turbo face seal, CM2250
01-13-2018, (Subject: VG Turbo face seal, CM2250 ) 
VG Turbo face seal, CM2250
      Ok, so brother and I pulled the turbo and manifold today to put on new gaskets. I had oil leaking from cylinder 2, presumably from the failing valve guide seals. Which I will be replacing as soon as the parts arrive early next week.
All of the exhaust ports on the head were very wet with oil, and the exhaust side of the turbo was wet with oil as well. (Presumably from the valve guide seals) the engine consumes very little oil so I am hopeful my rings aren’t bad as well.
Anyhow, onto my question, so the compressor side of the turbo had a bit more oil then last time I pulled the compressor outlet piping, enough to make your finger shiny, but not pooling anywhere. The compressor outlet pipe itself was completely dry as was the CAC inlet. I am guessing the oil is crossing over from the face seal?? However once I have stopped the oil leaking into the exhaust by replacing the valve guide seals, do I need to replace the turbo face seal too?? If the oil leak is stopped, how much exhaust bleed through would be acceptable. With as much oil as I had on the exhaust side, and as little as I found on the compressor side, the leak would have to be very minimal. Ok to run like this for awhile after I stop the leak?? Or needs to be attended to now??
Also, I idled for about two hours today, which I never do because it was so cold outside, turbos slobber a bit when idled, so maybe the film of oil on the compressor outlet was from that and under normal circumstances it wouldn’t have had any??

As always any help, tips, ideas, or advise will be appreciated! Thanks

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
01-14-2018, (Subject: VG Turbo face seal, CM2250 ) 
RE: VG Turbo face seal, CM2250
Do you have a boroscope?
If you do, when you pull your injectors to R&R your v/g seals, that is defiantly the time to inspect the inside of the cylinders! In fact you could not only inspect the cylinder conditions, you could also leave the rockers in and bar the motor over and inspect the valves and valve seats while you're at it and have things apart. Then you'd know exactly the condition of your whole engine, head and liners...
You can get a relatively inexpensive one on Amazon that connects to your phone if you don't, and probably in time to inspect as you do this job...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
01-20-2018, (Subject: VG Turbo face seal, CM2250 ) 
Where you getting any emission problems because of this ?? ..
Will this job fix excessive regen ??
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
01-20-2018, (Subject: VG Turbo face seal, CM2250 ) 
JHNDZ: My Truck was demandated about 50k ago by some of the masters on this site. If it was still running emissions I would imagine oil making it into the exhaust would clog a DPF filter very quickly with un-burnable ash and therefor cause excessive regens.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.