Compression test
01-16-2018, (Subject: Compression test ) 
RE: Compression test
Back in year 2000 I had a chance to use an “ SUN “ tester which basically measure cranking amps , in conjunction with crankshaft and camshaft position sensors input. Then calculate pressure in each cylinder . Pretty neat. Hook and play.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
(01-16-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(01-16-2018 )Wiseman Wrote:  The smell isn’t only oil ! Its combination of combustion gasses and oil vapor! Don’t underestimate the harm to your health they can do!!!
(01-16-2018 )dhirocz Wrote:  ...very good point.

After the "wife in a nighty" comment, you'd better be done before you posted this!

Aaaaaaaa...hahahaha just spitt my coffee ☕️
Hammer , you rock.....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , dhirocz
Why not just have someone with the correct tooling check the blowby with a manual or digital manometer? Testing cylinders individually and purchasing all the tooling yourself will let you know which cylinder is having problems, but the head will need to come off regardless if you've got high blowby that isn't coming from a compressor or turbo.
replyreply
Most people never think about valve guide wear and turbo boost when they talk of blowby.
replyreply
(01-16-2018 )Signature620 Wrote:  Why not just have someone with the correct tooling check the blowby with a manual or digital manometer? Testing cylinders individually and purchasing all the tooling yourself will let you know which cylinder is having problems, but the head will need to come off regardless if you've got high blowby that isn't coming from a compressor or turbo.

That's a really good idea, attach a manometer on the crank vent and use Insite to run the engine on one cyl at a time and record the results.
Not only simpler, but far less labour intensive and probably less expensive tooling...and, can be done at much closer to, if not at operating temp for best results.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hhow55 , fargonaz , dhirocz
Some food for thought in here. I love it.

I'm that guy that likes to understand theory behind how a machine works and thinks it's just as important as how to work on it.

...and for the record, I edited that post, so yeah, it was that last one lol

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
(01-16-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  That's a really good idea, attach a manometer on the crank vent and use Insite to run the engine on one cyl at a time and record the results.
Not only simpler, but far less labour intensive and probably less expensive tooling...[i]and, can be done at much closer to, if not at operating temp for best results.

Simply running the engine on one cylinder at a time will reveal any significant difference in compression. A manometer is not even required actually. Any measurable amount of compression loss differences will reveal itself quickly when firing the engine by only one cylinder at a time. A manometer will not reveal any valve or other head related seepages or air flow issues that cause compression losses. I have seen several engines of the past where compression is lower on one cylinder that is enough to measure. For a CM871 that has suffered years of soot problems, it is usually number 2 or number 3 cylinder. Firing the engine on one cylinder at a time AFTER ensuring you have done an injector leakage test (the bubbles in the glass of water video I made) so that you don't get false results will reveal a mechanically weakened cylinder.

Find a cylinder that does not want to run well?- Swap injectors around to ensure it is NOT an injector issue. If it stays with the cylinder then it is a legit compression problem.

the reason WHY is it usually number 2 or number 3 cylinder is that soot likes to get cached and harden into carbon chunks right behind the ECM and build up this volcano right at the intake valves in the head, then starve the cylinder of intake air, weakening it and lowering compression. It eventually takes its toll on the cylinder(s) and makes the other cylinders have to work harder to make up for it.

The diag machine that measures current and the cam position was mentioned earlier works the best on forced induction engines and is the most accurate way of comparison.

In fact, you could make your own with a coil and tiny magnet on the overhead cam in a safe place and measuring the voltage at the positive starter post, feeding both signals into a cheap usb oscilloscope for a laptop. record the screen (or a real o-scope and a video recorder), then play it back after cranking for a bit. You would simply set the trigger of the o-scope to the overhead cam signal so you got a stable screen, and place the magnet so that it passed the coil at TDC of cylinder number one. Reading the screen from left to right would be cylinders 1,5,3,6,2,4 in that order. This would be far less effort than taking things apart and sticking gauges into cylinder bores.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Wiseman , dhirocz , fargonaz , JMBT
dhirocz, forgive me for asking but....you did gut the cans right?.

User's Signature: In the immortal words of Romeo as he gazed upon Juliet's eyes..."Wait...We Drank What?!"
replyreply
Oh yeah. It was @m*m^2'd properly and to standard...

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.