Trailer brake and ABS
01-17-2018, (Subject: Trailer brake and ABS ) 
Trailer brake and ABS
Need help to identify problem with trailer brakes. I got this trailer recently from auction and from day one brakes works not as it should be. I have done wheel bearings , new drums and shoes. No faults from ABS computer.
When I apply brake it start braking too hard then brake power is almost to zero then again it start braking hard. It tipping forth and back. really scares me when road is icy or in city traffic. It was few close calls almost rear ended because brakes power is unpredictable.
ABS unit is Meritor Wabco 2S/2M.
Is ABS air part is serviceable or need cleaning from time to time?
Any tps how to troubleshoot.
replyreply
RE: Trailer brake and ABS
Ah ha, very timely. I have a peterbilt at my shop right now with that axact same problem. I found the drive axle relay valve defective causing its crack pressure to be about 40 psi on the gauge before the brakes applied and then they applied hard. Crack pressure on this paticular application is supposed to be 5.5 psi. Have a look at that on your trailer. The abs valve which acts as the trailer relay valve as well might be your culprit. But confirm first that your control line has no leak as that could cause an issue like this too.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Rawze , Wiseman , fargonaz
Snail: also check your S cams and bushings. Up and down play at the Cam end, should be less then .030. A very worn Scam or sloppy bushings will make brake unpredictable as well.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Starlight , fargonaz
(01-17-2018 )Starlight Wrote:  Ah ha, very timely. I have a peterbilt at my shop right now with that axact same problem. I found the drive axle relay valve defective causing its crack pressure to be about 40 psi on the gauge before the brakes applied and then they applied hard. Crack pressure on this paticular application is supposed to be 5.5 psi. Have a look at that on your trailer. The abs valve which acts as the trailer relay valve as well might be your culprit. But confirm first that your control line has no leak as that could cause an issue like this too.
Could you please give me some info where to look for this relay, where it located usually.
replyreply
(01-17-2018 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(01-17-2018 )Starlight Wrote:  Ah ha, very timely. I have a peterbilt at my shop right now with that axact same problem. I found the drive axle relay valve defective causing its crack pressure to be about 40 psi on the gauge before the brakes applied and then they applied hard. Crack pressure on this paticular application is supposed to be 5.5 psi. Have a look at that on your trailer. The abs valve which acts as the trailer relay valve as well might be your culprit. But confirm first that your control line has no leak as that could cause an issue like this too.
Could you please give me some info where to look for this relay, where it located usually.
Its your main abs valve on the trailer. Follow the abs sensor wires from the wheels right to the valve. Its usually mounted directly on one of the air tanks. But like i said make sure there are no leaks first
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
(01-17-2018 )Starlight Wrote:  
Its your main abs valve on the trailer. Follow the abs sensor wires from the wheels right to the valve. Its usually mounted directly on one of the air tanks. But like i said make sure there are no leaks first

So actually it's ABS unit, the air valves part, right?
replyreply

What he is saying snailexpress is to apply about 15psi of braking pressure on the trailer spike (trolley valve) and then verify that the pushrods are starting to extend out of the brake pots and applying the brakes. Most trailer valves have about a 7psi or so cracking pressure, and if the valve is all gunked up inside and not cracking until say 40 psi, then the pushrods will not extend very much, if at all at 15psi.
If this is the case, then because the valve is all gunked up, and not cracking until say 40psi as an example, then the brakes are apllying very hard almost instantly, then the ABS sees the wheels locking up, and releases the brakes therefore making you feel that the brakes are "falling off" when you are in fact applying them.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , snailexpress , Starlight , Wiseman , fargonaz

So actually it's ABS unit, the air valves part, right?
Yes.
replyreply
Next question is can i take the ABS whole module out to inspect or replace without dropping air tank it attached to?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.