Thermostat 871
01-20-2018, (Subject: Thermostat 871 ) 
Thermostat 871
I know , I know one more dumb ? But hey I got to be good at something ...
I have to do my thermostat on my 871 parking lot style .
My ? Is is there anything I should look for or check . I know I should know all this but like I said I am real good at asking real dumb ?
Thank you for all your time and info

P.s it is not " closing " all the way letting the truck cool off to , well I had at 155 for a brief min (m/t) going down a big hill . It usually won't cool down that much . It just started about 70 Kms ago and I am loaded 80% of the way back so it should be good back to town ....

Thanks again ....

Oh one more ? What do you think about the waterpump ... Lifespan . I am thinking of changing it out this spring good , bad ,or not necessary ( 980,000 ) Kms and way ,way too many hrs 15,000 ....
Just don't want problems when it's time to go to work or in the bush ....
Thanks again ,again ....

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
RE: Thermostat 871
(01-20-2018 )the missing link Wrote:  I know , I know one more dumb ? But hey I got to be good at something ...
I have to do my thermostat on my 871 parking lot style .
My ? Is is there anything I should look for or check . I know I should know all this but like I said I am real good at asking real dumb ?
Thank you for all your time and info

P.s it is not " closing " all the way letting the truck cool off to , well I had at 155 for a brief min (m/t) going down a big hill . It usually won't cool down that much . It just started about 70 Kms ago and I am loaded 80% of the way back so it should be good back to town ....

Thanks again ....

Oh one more ? What do you think about the waterpump ... Lifespan . I am thinking of changing it out this spring good , bad ,or not necessary ( 980,000 ) Kms and way ,way too many hrs 15,000 ....
Just don't want problems when it's time to go to work or in the bush ....
Thanks again ,again ....
I followed the detailed instructions found on quickserve.cummins.com, and had no problems doing mine.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
The brass/turcon ring in the bottom of the housing is often a big part of the problem too. I always replace it when helping someone here but it is a buggar to get in/out. It likes to be real stubborn coming out, and the new one likes to get damaged when trying to put it back in. My understanding is that the brass ring is supposed to be in the box with the thermostat but many times it is missing?.

I usually end up using a dremmel to polish the surface where that brass ring goes down in the bottom of the thermostat housing to make it easier to get the new one in without damaging it.

===

I should make a video on helping someone doing a thermostat. that would be nice eh?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: the missing link , hhow55 , Starlight , gatow900 , rrod
Thanks rawze that was exactly what I was looking for .

replyreply
Make double sure that who ever you get your therm from, gives you the exact temp. range you need. KW dealer here checked the number twice with quick serv. told me there are 3 different ones. I think 155,180 and 195 or 205 degree I think. All used for different applications of the same Engine. Needless to say the 155 they gave me left me rather cold in the late fall and I had to tear it apart again.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , rrod
The inner seal needs to be replaced for sure. I have a very small heel bar to remove it with no damage to the housing. Other than that its straight forward. If you happened to be in my area I'd give you all the gaskets and inner seal for free as overhaul kits usually come with 2 of everything and i just started throwing them away after accumulating half a dozen of each. Happy wrenching though. FYI, only one pail of coolant needs to be drained to do thermostat.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: trucklogger2
Thanks starlight I appreciate your offer we' ll see how it goes I have been pulling loads about 17 Kms away from you ( at 3 am- 6am though lol )
I would be really interested in your "heal bar " ,if it's just a little guy or if a pick would work .
Thanks every one again
It's real cool to have a site like this and the ppl on here .
Anybody can kinda figure out what a wrench is or look at quicksevre BUT the knowledge and wisdom of guys that have done this hundreds of times is priceless .

replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDlighttruck , Rawze , Hammerhead , rrod
01-23-2018, (Subject: Thermostat 871 ) 
Well just a update ...
I have all The parts including a Pail and a Funnel .
Just call me chicken ... Well maybe just a Little Wiser then i used to be .
Now there is not much I won't do in a parking lot , but I have to head home for a oil change anyway soooo . I talked to a buddy of mine that owns a shop in town that I run track- hoe for the odd time and trade favors . He said just to pull her into to shop , I said I'd pay him to dry rent a bay but he does not want it .
So rather then do it in a parking lot I'll go home change oil and pull her into the shop, I have a few antifreeze leaks I want to do at the same time if time allows .
I might have to leave the leaks for now . Break up is coming and everyday counts .
I'll let you know how it goes , by the way the part # are :
T- Stat ( updated ) 4318947. 78.80$
Seal 186780. 19.64$
Gasket for housing 3682673. 27.14$ All is in Canadian funds

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , DosGatos , DDlighttruck
01-26-2018, (Subject: Thermostat 871 ) 
I did it all yesterday , took about 4 hrs ( I am good at making puppy's ) . That included the t-stat , antifreeze filter , the bottom of the egr cooler joint that goes back into the motor , and new heater hose valves . Was way better then expected. I try to post some pic here in a bit . Who would of thought that rawze would be rigt again , the brass ring was digging into the t- stat .

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Hammerhead , DDlighttruck

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.